How do I receive email from a third party account at Outlook.com?

Paul Pruitt April 25, 2013

I want to try using Outlook.com and compare it to Gmail.

I told the app to pull my email from my 3rd party account. However it only pulled email that was in the account that was somehow not being forwarded to Gmail, these included returned emails and such that have been accumulating in the 3rd party account for several months, which for some reason my 3rd party provider was not forwarding to Gmail, even though I have set my email to be forwarded to it.

Perhaps the answer is email has to stay in the 3rd party box for several minutes before Microsoft can poll it and pull a copy and email my 3rd party provider deems non-spam; it is instead immediately forwarding.

Anyways, Outlook.com has given me a separate mailbox for the 3rd party Email. The account name I use for logging onto Live.com/Outlook.com is that 3rd party address.

My question is, what is my Outlook.com address? It can’t be my 3rd party username@3rdPartyProvider.com@outlook.com or live.com, can it?

How do I get email that gets put in the inbox of Outlook.com and not in the separate 3rd part account name? I might have an old Hotmail account name I can try to dig up and try a test message with that.

I hope I’m not embarrassing myself here in my ignorance…

It sounds to me like your "3rd party account" is set up to forward the messages to GMail and then move the messages aside in some way (e.g. remove them from the inbox). This would account for the symptoms your describe (of course, since I don't know what mail system it is and how it has been set up, I can't be certain about it, but this is how things look from here).

If you're only trying this in order to compare Outlook.com and GMail, download the messages from GMail - it'll do the job!

As background information, the following may be useful:

1. Forwarding can be set up (depending on the email system) so that messages are forwarded but kept intact in the inbox, or the forwarded messages can be archived, deleted or otherwise removed from the inbox. If you want to read the messages from two mail clients (Outlook.com and GMail are clients for this purpose), you *must* go for the first option (leave messages intact when forwarding).

2. Mail can be picked up by clients using either POP3 or IMAP4 protocols (there are other protocols, but for this discussion these are the important ones). POP downloads new messages from the INBOX, and either removes them from the server, or keeps its own list of downloaded messages so it won't download them again. IMAP synchronises the messages in all or selected folders on both the client and server, so that by the end of the sync, you have the same messages on both. IMAP is much better suited to accessing your email from more than one source.

2. Jan Fritsch

If you used a third-party email address e.g. "yourname@domain.com" to signup for Outlook.com this address will be used (as sender address) when sending mails from Outlook.com

If you want an actual @outlook.com address you will have to click your name in the top-right and select "Account Settings", then "Account aliases". You can then create an outlook.com email address and use it to send & receive emails (Info: Your login to outlook.com won't change, it will still be the third-party address).

As for the Inbox emails:
    Basically Outlook.com does access the third-party account like an email client would to receive and download the emails. So your assumption is correct: The Emails have to stay within the third-party inbox until Outlook.com downloaded them.
    If they are forwarded to gmail and immediately deleted you will always be missing some of them within Outlook.com

As for why some of the emails were not forwarded from the third-party account to gmail is a question you should ask the provider of said address.

• Paul Pruitt

Jan, thanks. Also thanks to Ha14 and Oron. So you were right I used the link Ha14 provided about upgrading from Gmail to realize as you describe that adding an alias allows you to create an outlook.com address. I did that and then sent a test message from Gmail to the outlook.com address and received it in the inbox which is the behavior I want.

I then went to my 3rd party providers cPanel and in my domain's Email set up a second forwarder to outlook.com After completing that action, cPanel told me copies were being sent to both gmail.com and outlook.com and presumably most of the other Email will once forwarded will be removed from my 3rd party inbox which is what I want because I think the space is limited.

I like the design of outlook.com better than gmail's but the crux of the matter will be handling of spam as gmail is almost a past master at that. I'm marking this message as complete. I'm awarding you the 10 points as you seem to have the best grasp of the situation. However I'm also upvoting Oron's and Ha14's answers. Thanks again to all.

Send and receive email from other accounts in Outlook.com
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/outlook/other-email-accounts

Using POP3 and IMAP4 E-Mail Programs
    http://help.outlook.com/en-us/140/cc511383.aspx

Upgrade from Gmail
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-com/gmail/

Rename your primary alias
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-nz/windows/outlook/rename-account

How to Get the Outlook.com Email Address You Want
    http://mashable.com/2012/07/31/outlook-address/