How do I properly absolve all claims to a video I want to upload on YouTube?

Victor Ong June 30, 2013

I’m a re-uploader on YouTube, or at least not an original content creator. For example, I would put subtitles on a music video for a song, then re-upload it, stating in the description that I do not own the song, video, or any part of it, and that it is simply a video with subtitles added. However, my video still gets pulled somehow.

How do I go about correctly releasing all possible claims of ownership of any type of media (mostly video)?

1. gbswales

Sadly the stupid laws of copyright which protect multi million £ companies rather than the artistes are the cause of this and many other problems. Their problem is that not so much that the videos get posted but that you tube indirectly make money from them. Reposting music vids is a way to pay tribute to the artistes you like and gives them greater exposure, selling more seats at concerts (which are the real work they should make their money from). Not only do google make money off youtube but also now so do individuals. If the record companies want to reduce this then why dont THEY publish free videos on your tube with lyrics, kareoke versions and so on? Too many people make too much money from too many things - they should give more freely

2. Justin Pot

There is one way to absolve all claims: don't upload anything to YouTube if you don't own it. You can also ask for permission. Other than that, you're outside the law – regardless of what kind of disclaimers you put up.

3. Phil G

1 word. Vimeo.

YouTube SUCKS!

4. Joe W.

You are violating someones copyright and youtubes terms of service. If someone complains simply delete the video. though i still think it counts as a copyright strike. 'i think' it is still three strikes and you are out but i'm not 100% sure on that

If you still want the song or video on your channel link to it on your playlist or channel from the owner.

I would not risk your youtube account especially if your are monitizing it.

From my personal experience, I noticed if i put watermarks for the original copyright.. for example G 'n R copyright by Geffen (or whatever) in one of the corners.. i have less of an issue though in the long run i don't think it makes much of a difference

5. Matt

You are breaking Copyright Law when you re-upload the video - that is why it is being taken down. That means you have two options:

1 - Obtain the necessary permission, and pay whatever fees are required, to obtain the correct permission. You then send a copy of this to YouTube and they will re-enable your video.

2 - Stop breaking the law.

I know you may not realise you are breaking the law, but you must realise that they could decide to take legal action against you. Removing your video is the kindest thing they can do compared to taking you to court etc. which is an option (though probably not worth their time).

6. Philip

If it has to do with music I just slightly change the pitch of the audio track so it sounds practically the same but it doesn't get caught by their monitors.

7. Jan Fritsch

Patrick and Bruce already covered it but the following link might be worth a read too.
    https://www.eff.org/issues/intellectual-property/guide-to-youtube-removals

Basically if you just subtitle (music) videos from known companies your video is likely to be removed automatically by the system.

The oroginal creator(s) own the copyright for the video and using it WITHOUT THEIR PERMISSION (usually requires written consent), is a violation of various copyright statutes. That is why your postings are getting pulled. Just stating that it isn't your original content does not evade the copyright protections held by the content creators.

9. Patrick J

Victor, unfortunately, you CANNOT re-upload any video, especially from those like the record companies posting music videos online. They are only available for personal viewing and one needs permission (may involve broadcasting rights too) from the owner to do so. This is irrespective of whether you mention that it's not yours or not.

Better try posting something else than the video while keeping the sound. Or you can be creative, like showing off lyrics like the video 'All Of The Lights' by Kanye West has. (You need to mention that the idea's mine in the videos! XD)

I hope this helps.

• Victor Ong

Why is it that my original video with non-original audio also gets flagged?

Also, if I reupload the video, but make it private, will it still be pulled?