How do I play movies from my external HDD on my TV?

Benjamin Macias November 29, 2012

I recently bought a TOURO Mobile Pro 1TB and I re-formatted it into HFS+ so that I can store more than 4GB movies and stuff.

Anyways, I have a 55″ Samsung Serie 6 TV and when I connected my HDD to it, it can’t find or can’t read my HDD. How do I solve this problem? Please help. Thanks!!

1. Simon

how do you convert a WD Hdd to FAT 32?

2. Nicola De Ieso

Need, you have to verify the compatibility of the HDD File system on the tv. If the file system is not supported, you have to convert it. FAT32 is more compatible than NTFS. Second, for play a movie, you have to go in the menu of the tv for playing files on a external source

3. Douglas Mutay

Normally there should not be a problem for your TV to read your HDD. I will suggest to use a HDD that can use an external power source because your TV won't provide enough juice to make it work. Especially when you talk about 1TB and I am sure it has USB 3.0

4. Nikhil Goswami

HDD should be FAT32.
    TV should have USB enabled (assuming it is).
    Movie format should be one of those supported by your TV.

5. Nikhil Chandak
  6. Eath Chantrea

do research about what partition and media format it can support.

7. Jesse Manalansan

Make sure your TV's built in media player can read the video formats of movies stored in your external hdd

8. Abba Jee

you need to change your file system to fat 32 so your Tv can read your drive

9. Jan Fritsch

HFS+ is a Mac file system and borderline supported by other systems.
    While Linux can usually access it and file system drivers for Windows do exists I have never seen a TV, STB or media player able to access it.

The best thing you can do is format it in FAT32 despite the low maximum file size as this will be supported by (almost) all systems. While NTFS and exFAT are possible options their support on entertainment devices is also limited.

Also make sure that the partition scheme is set to Master Boot Record (see Disk Utility, the "Options..." button). Otherwise most devices won't be able to access it even if it is formatted in FAT32.
    http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/partition-types.htm

I don't think the format is supported by the TV. I have a WD 1 TB on NTFS which unfortunately is not detected by my Sony Bravia. I do have a 250 GB hard drive on FAT and the TV does recognize this hard drive. Hope this helps.

TV manual lists formats it recognises. Is HFS+ a supported format?

12. Adam Campbell

I did some digging on the internet and its a mess... Apparently, these tv's sometimes read external HDD and sometimes not. First off, I read in a post by samsung that external HDDs are not supported but I was unable to find anything to back that up. Secondly, if the HDD you are using does not have an external power source then it won't work. There is not enough power provided by the TV to run it. Third, and this is just guessing on my part, the HFS+ isn't going to play nicely with the TV, because we unfortunately live in a world that is addicted to NTFS and FAT. If I were you I would use an apple tv and just stream the files through a computer over the network. Or if that's not an option I would use a flash drive (people have more luck using them with a tv then HDDs) even though its a hassle a good memory stick can hold a decent amount of videos. hope this helps