How do I move my user profile from C:\Users\ to E:\?

Srikant M August 29, 2013

While copying my user profile from C:\Users\ to a new location using the command robocopy /mir /xj “C:\Users\” “D:\” in cmd (as described in the MakeUseOf guide “Stuff Happens — The Backup and Restore Guide“), I get this error:

ERROR 5 (0x00000005) Copying File C:\Users\asus\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Bici\Bici1_00.sqm
Access is denied.

I was doing this with an Administrator account that is NOT my main user account (as instructed in the guide). Please help me rectify the problem ASAP.

1. Carl

Shut MSN Messenger down.
    As a side topic to this you can delete the sqm file, any issues.
    If you wanted to automate the deltion of them open note/wordpad and paste the following in -

@ECHO OFF
    ATTRIB C:\*.SQM -R -S -H +A
    DEL C:\*.SQM

Go to file -> Save as -> save it to a location yo can remember and give it a name e.g. "something.bat" (the double quote and he .bat are mandatory), you can choose the name as appropriate.

Hope it helps :)

2. Tsf O

I did a fresh install for this and so far it seems to be working. “User” is the Account name created at install.
    Enable built in admin account, open cmd.exe (run as admin) and type -
    1. net user administrator /active:yes
    2. shutdown /r /f /t 00
    After restart, login to Administrator and open CMD, Run as Admin, enter the following –
    3. robocopy /copyall /mir /xj "C:UsersPublic" "D:UsersPublic"
    4. robocopy /copyall /mir /xj "C:UsersUser" "D:UsersUser"
    5. rmdir /S /Q "C:UsersPublic"
    6. rmdir /S /Q "C:UsersUser"
    7. mklink /J "C:UsersPublic" "D:UsersPublic"
    8. mklink /J "C:UsersUser" "D:UsersUser"
    9. shutdown /r /f /t 00
    After restart, login back in to administrator
    10. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionProfileList
    a. Find a key similar to this, "S-1-5-21-4288074848-3222386265-3783365272-1000", that has your User name and change the C to D.
    Disable built in admin account, open cmd.exe (run as admin) and type -
    11. net user administrator /active:no
    12. shutdown /r /f /t 00

After restart, login to your account.
    I actually created 3 cmd files, 1st with steps 1-2, the 2nd with steps 3-9, 3rd with steps 11-12.( Put Pause in between -each step)
    Once again, thanks for the help!
    *If not a fresh install, after step 2's restart press F8 to perform steps 3-9 in safe mode.

• Srikant M

When using the rmdir command, I get this:

C:Windowssystem32>rmdir /S /Q "C:Usersasus"
      C:UsersasusAppDataLocalMICROS~1MEDIAP~1CurrentDatabase_372.wmdb - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
      C:UsersasusAppDataRoamingMICROS~1WindowsLIBRAR~1 - Access is denied.

I'm not able to rename my user profile. Please help.

are you using administrator rights or take ownership first

• Bruce E

Srikant,

The file that is causing your issue is the current media library database file. You need to stop the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service (MWPNetworkSvc) first. Open Task Manager, select the Services tab, sort by name, right-click the WMPNetworkSVC entry and select Stop Service. Once the service enters the stopped state, you should be able to successfully complete your other command.

As a side note, why are you removing all of these files and directories if you simply want to rename your profile? If you are simply renaming your profile, you should not be deleting ANY files, just renaming the appropriate folder under Users should be sufficient (if you even want to do it like that).

"Robocopy /B" does not copy the security information such as ACL in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979808

Special Folders Manager 2.0.2.179 (Save Me) - Moves User Folders with Easy
    http://www.nezavisim.com/?lg=en&cat=2&scat=8
    perhaps you can use it to copy files without errors?