How do I migrate Outlook 2011 emails to Apple Mail?

Eric H November 1, 2013

Hello everyone,
I am here with a problem of mail migration. For the last month I have been trying to migrate my emails from Outlook 2011 over to Apple Mail, but it seems a tough job to do. The import function in apple mail does not contain outlook 2011 in the import from menu and I have spent hours for searching solutions for this migration online and have not found a perfect solution yet. Please guide me with a perfect method or solution that can help me migrate all my mails from outlook 2011 to apple mail.

Currently I am using a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.8.3.  I have thousands of mails to be migrated. I hope to get helpful solutions.

1. Russell Smith

Hi Eric,
    Practically, it does not possible to convert Outlook 2011 email items in to Apple mail. Either you stay with Outlook 2011 or contact with Apple support team.

Regards:
    Russell

2. Tony G

If you have all the latest updates to Outlook, drag a folder from Outlook to your desktop and it will export as an mbox file which you can then import into Mail. To get your contacts and calendards into the OS X applications, go to Sync Services under the Tools menu in Outlook and select to sync the contacts and calendar.

Or you can simply look for third party tools for better and fast results, here is one recommended by apple store: https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/olm-converter-pro/id522796199?mt=12

Regards.

• Eric H

I got this tool olm converter pro from apple store and converted all my mails from outlook 2011 to apple mail. Thanks for help all of you.

The "perfect" solution would be to move to an IMAP mail account where all emails are stored on the server and you don't have to transfer anything. Whenever you change application all you have to do is configure your account in the other program and wait for the mails to be downloaded.

Back with Entourage the way to go was important mails from Entourage into Thunderbird (some plugin was required). Then export from Thunderbird to an mbox file and import it into Apple Mail. A long way to go ~ I'm not sure that actually works with Outlooks new database structure.

There is an app called OLM converter which looks promising but I haven't tried it myself so far. One benefit over solutions like using Thunderbird is that it should also take care of calendars and contacts.
    http://www.gladwevsoftware.com/olm-converter-pro/

How to Transfer Emails From Outlook to Apple Mail
    http://www.trickyways.com/2010/08/how-to-transfer-emails-from-outlook-to-apple-mail/
    transfer emails from Outlook to Thunderbird and then to Apple Mail

You're quite right that Apple Mail cannot import Outlook files (of any version) directly. However, the solution is quite simple:
    Run Outlook 2011, and drag each mail folder onto the desktop.
    When you've exported all the folder, move them all into a folder for convenience.
    They are now in mbox format and you can import them in Apple Mail as usual.