How do I make use of StumbleUpon to promote my blogs?
Question by Markus Venable /

I have a few blogs and someone told me I should submit them to StumbleUpon. I visited the website and it wanted me to sign up, but what I don’t understand what exactly I am signing up for?

How can I make this work as a blogger for promotion?

• Caroline West

Just to add: When you register at Stumble upon, it is their service which is all that you are signing up for. Basically, SU has a really attractive UI and it asks you to tick which areas of interest you have, ie; Books, Computing, Music and so on. You do get the SU toolbar which you can disable when not ‘Stumbling’ and easily enable it when you do want to. And it finds websites for you based on your interests which you can save or ignore. There is no fee and it is a great way to come across new content and is a lot of fun plus a boredom eliminator to boot! My advice is to register, see for yourself what it’s all about and then next find out the info I mentioned to use SU to promote your blog. Happy Stumbling! (trust me it is a good service).

• Caroline West

From what I understand, Stumble Upon is definitely a good way to promote further your blog but you do have to pay each time your site IS stumbled upon. Last time I checked it was around 5pence (GBP) each time. So it is worth doing for the exposure but it’s not free.

To find out more, login to your SU account (or sign-up if you haven’t yet – which is free) and have a look in the help and FAQ’s sections which will tell you everything that you need to know.

Hope this helps.

• Paul Pruitt

By the way, you can sort of use MakeUseOf to advertise your blog if you make blog posts on technical subjects. Do this by looking through the questions asked in this Ask Tech Help and when you find a question that a post of yours addresses, and that nobody has mentioned yet, refer people to your blog post. It’s legitimate I think.

Also note that questions accept comments up to 6 month after they are asked. So do a search on MakeUseOf on your blog posts topics. Then narrow down the results to the Help question sections by clicking on the “Questions and Answers” tab and try answering a few with addresses to your blog posts.

• Paul Pruitt

One step I forgot, order the questions and answers according to date by pressing the button in the upper right corner of your MakeUseOf search.

• Dave Parrack

Just a warning that you shouldn’t be submitting every article to StumbleUpon or you’ll soon be found out. Hopefully you’ll have engaged readers ready to submit articles themselves. That’s the key to gaining traffic from SU.

thanks :) I am not the best when it comes to thinking about writing i just kinda shoot from the hip as it were lol ans i tend to write really short post’s I am better at managing and maintaining WHM and Cpanel but i know i have to work on my article writing

• Qin Tang

Completely agree.

How to Make Your Blog Big on StumbleUpon: Your Content
    http://www.stumbleupon.com/blog/make-your-blog-big-your-content/

• Mac Witty

Help people by adding a button on your blog and ask them to stumble your posts

• Yiz Borol

StumbleUpon (SU) works like a general search engine.
    Someone specifies categories that he (or she) is interested in and then SU takes them to pages that fall under those categories. Pages are submitted by users and curated by staff. They also have a fancy algorithm that can figure out what a website is about and adds it under a category.

To submit a page create an account and click the “like” button when you’re on that page, SU will ask you to categorize it and then it’s in.
    It’s not enough to just submit you’re homepage, you should add each post in under whatever category fits it best. This will ensure the most satisfied readers.

• Markus Venable

thanks a lot, that helps a lot

• Ivan Vucic

That’s correct, as well it helps if you have fellow webmasters that will stumble your content and you stumble their in return that way you will get bigger exposure in Stumble…