How do I log into a Mac to share files from a Windows PC?

Vincent De Nil January 21, 2013

Hey guys,

I was using a great guide by Jackson Chung (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-easily-share-files-across-mac-windows-computers/#comments) to set up an Office workgroup between my MacBook Pro and my Windows Home PC.

I did everything in the guide and set up two shared folders from my Mac. I can now see and log into my Mac from my Windows’ ‘Network Places’ screen. Unfortunately, it asks me for a username and password and I’m not sure which one it wants. The screen rejects my Windows administrator login, my Mac administrator login, and the Homegroup password I was given when installing Windows.

I’ve also tried registering the same username and password on both machines but to no avail. can anyone help me out?

Regards,
Vincent

1. Vivek Kumar Yadav

ill suggest you better log in as root user and then try to connect...it solved the file sharing problem for my friend (between mac and ubuntu)

2. Vincent

Okay, i figured it out, thanks guys!

I had to enter my entire profile name and password as it was stored in my macbook on my first registration: 'vincentdnil'. My profile name displayed as 'Vincent' so I didn't know it had my full name stored as actual account name. Everything is working like a dream now.

Thanks for the help, and thanks for your great guide Chung!

great that was worked for you, thanks for your reply this can help others in the same situation that you faced:)

3. Jackson Chung

Hi Vincent,

It's been a while since I wrote that tutorial so I can't remember exactly what happened. But I do suspect that you may have to enter your Mac credentials when remotely logging into your Mac i.e. your full username and password.

4. Paul Pruitt

I think you can also install TeamViewer, which is free for personal use, on both Macs and Windows (and others) and share files between them, besides being able to control the whole Mac from Windows and vice versa.

5. Safvan Vhora

perhaps to enter all the authentification
    smb://workgroup;user:password@server/share

7.If the Windows account you're logged in with does not match one of the Mac user accounts, you will be asked to supply a Mac user account name and password. Once you enter this information, a window will open displaying the shared folders.
    http://macs.about.com/od/filesharing/ss/Share-Os-X-Lion-Files-With-Windows-7-Pcs_6.htm

7. Jan Fritsch

Using the article as an example it would have to be the login details from the Mac user "Jackson Chung".

If your Macs username contains spaces like in the article I believe you have to use the shortname (home folder name), in this example "jacksonchung" and the login password.