How do I limit the bandwidth each user can use from our organization’s server?

Fawad Mirzad January 23, 2013

We have an Internet connections and 50 users in our office. Our connection is good enough for all users but some of them have download managers and some other software that causes slow Internet.

I want to know is there any way to limit the internet bandwidth from server (without applying policy on clients so that they do not be able to install soft wares)?

For example: Each user should be able to use 20 Kbps connection at a time. If the user is not present his quota should be given to another user. The user should not be able to use more that his specified quota. If we have specfied 20 Kbps he/she should not be able to user 21 Kbps even with download managers.

Possible?

1. Daniel Huss

if you have 50 users in the office I would seriously consider getting something faster than a 1Mbps connection...

Here in Afghanistan a 1MB per second connection costs $3000 USD and finding a faster connection is extremely hard .

2. Jan Fritsch

It depends on how they are all connected to the internet ~ the "single point all connections go through".

Most likely they are connected to a switch and that switch to the router/modem. If that router/modem doesn't support such settings you will have to (a) change the structure of your network or (b) configure them all to use a proxy (which you'll have to setup on a server and has to be able to limit the bandwidth)

If you have a Windows Server with 2 network interfaces the easiest thing would be to connect it between the switch and the modem/router and use ISA Server to manage traffic or use a third-party software to limit individual traffic.

If you have some UNIX system you could setup a squid proxy for traffic shaping and route all clients through it.

If the switch your internet is connected to is Layer 3 it should be capable to shape traffic using multiple methods.

Being an SMB with 50 employees I do suggest to consult a professional in that field rather than using some "homebrew" solution. Or way easier, put usage restrictions and guidelines in place and simply have your administrator remove the troublesome applications from the systems.

If I find someone using Torrent on our network I send a mail asking them to turn it off, kill the process remotely 10 minutes later and if they still keep downloading kill the switch port to make them understand.

3. Mahesh Kumar

You can use software like http://www.antamediabandwidth.com/ .

You no longer need to install software on each computer to control bandwidth quotas, set time limits and priorities for different users, configure firewalls and other advanced features, such as blocking unauthorized websites.

Antamedia Bandwidth Manager software controls download and upload rates for every computer in your network, using a shared Internet connection (NAT), meaning it acts as a gateway to the Internet.

I hope this is useful..

Bandwidth Controller
    http://bandwidthcontroller.com/

CCProxy Bandwidth Control Function
    http://www.youngzsoft.net/ccproxy/bandwidth-control.htm