How do I let Windows XP computers access my Windows 8 files?
Question by Don Blevens /

I have Windows XP, Windows 7 & Windows 8 computers on my home network. The Windows 7 & Windows 8 access each other through Homegroups with no problem and the Windows XP can access my Windows 7 with a little additional sharing. However, I can’t get the Windows XP to access the Windows 8 computer at all.

Actually I could by using the Windows 8 Sharing user and putting all my files under that user instead of myself, but I don’t want to do that.

I have even set up Windows XP users on my Windows 8 computer, hoping I could log in to access the files, but I still can’t. All my Windows XP computers just say I don’t have access. They are not even asking to log in.

I can’t believe it could be this hard or that Windows 8 is that much different than Windows 7. So what am I doing wrong? It’s got to be something easy that I’m just over-looking, but I don’t know what that is. Anybody got any hints or areas to look into for the answer?

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Jordyn Bushaw

A easy way to allow your XP computers access to your Windows 8 files is to share the drive on the Windows 8 computer on the network. To do this, go on the Windows 8 computer, go to your desktop, click on the folder at the bottom of the screen, when it opens, move your mouse to the left side of the screen, scroll down the list until you see “Computer” and click on it. Now right-click on the drive labeled “Local Disk” and click properties. Then click on the “Sharing” tab, click “Advanced sharing”, then click “share this folder” you now want to click “permissions”. Then click “full control” under the “Allow” column and click “OK”, this now allows people on the other computers in your house to add or delete things from the drive. Click “OK” again. Now at the top of the properties window, it should show you the network path, this will be required in order to connect to the drive on other computers, your computer account will also need a password in order for another computer’s credentials to authenticate. You can set the password to something as simple as 1 2 3 4 5 if you don’t already have password set on your computer. Incase if you do not know how to do this, move your mouse over to the right hand corner of your screen, select “Settings”, then click “Control Panel”, click the “User accounts and Family Safety”, now click on “User Accounts” (the username is found on the right, next to all the options) then click “make changes to my account in PC Settings” under “sign-in options” click “create a password”. DO NOT GET THIS MIXED UP WITH “CREATE A PICTURE PASSWORD, OR ELSE THIS WILL NOT WORK CORRECTLY!!!!!!
    There you go, you have created your password. Press alt + F4 to close the PC settings page then press the Windows logo button or click desktop. Go back to the drive properties and make sure that in the “Security” tab, “Full control” is selected for “Authenticated Users”. Now go on your other computers and click “Computer” click tools and click “Map Network Drive” when the cursor moves into the “Folder” box, type in the Windows 8 drive’s network path, make sure the “reconnect at logon” box is checked. When it tries to connect it will ask you to enter a username and password, use the password that you created, to fill in the password field. Then it should open the drive folder if it successfully connected.

• Don Blevens

Good news is I can now access my Win8 PC from my WinXP PC. Bad news is I have messed with, changed & tried so many things in the last 2 hours that I have NO idea what actually fixed the problem.

Oh well, consider this one closed and thanks for the help.

• Don Blevens

you must have a correctly configured network protocol. The default network protocol for Windows 8 is TCP/IP.
    http://www.infotechguyz.com/windows8/HowtoJoinaHomeGroupinWindows8.html

• Don Blevens

My computer supports this and I did install (enable) it. Problem is I don’t understand what setting up a virtual pc in win8 has to do with my other winxp computers accessing my files.

Hello, do all the computers belong to same workgroup? As you know, homegroup does not work for XP only windows 7/8. Make sure that all the computers in your network belong to same workgroup. Have you tried putting the files you want to share from windows 8 to XP in the public folder?

This happened a lot when windows 7 came out. It happens when password protection is enabled in windows 7/8. Try to change so that password protection is disabled and see if that works.

Also you could try setting the file sharing connections to use 40 or 56-bit encryption instead of 128. Let us know if this works.

In Windows 8 the application is Hyper-V.
    To use Hyper-V your system and processor must have the required hardware features and these must be enabled in the motherboard BIOS. See http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-feature-focus-client-hyperv-142889.
    Go to “Turn Windows features on or off” and check if you can enable Hyper-V.

Then probably you can try to install WinXP on it (I do not know if it works or not but you can try)