Don Blevens

How do I let Windows XP computers access my Windows 8 files?

22 Dec 2012
Windows
Chrome 23
22 Dec 2012 | Windows | Chrome 23

I have Windows XP, Windows 7 & Windows 8 computers on my home network. The Windows 7 & Windows 8 access each other through Homegroups with no problem and the Windows XP can access my Windows 7 with a little additional sharing. However, I can’t get the Windows XP to access the Windows 8 computer at all.

Actually I could by using the Windows 8 Sharing user and putting all my files under that user instead of myself, but I don’t want to do that.

I have even set up Windows XP users on my Windows 8 computer, hoping I could log in to access the files, but I still can’t. All my Windows XP computers just say I don’t have access. They are not even asking to log in.

I can’t believe it could be this hard or that Windows 8 is that much different than Windows 7. So what am I doing wrong? It’s got to be something easy that I’m just over-looking, but I don’t know what that is. Anybody got any hints or areas to look into for the answer?