How do I know if I caught a virus after opening some pictures on Facebook?

Sharon Daly January 14, 2013

I believe I have caught a virus via Facebook, and that I have sent it on. I don’t know what to do? I opened some pics, from a friend in Guayaquil, Ecuador even after my virus protection alerted me.

Since it was from a friend I know, I opened it. Any tips?

1. Nala Dimapunong

Just scan your drives right now and make sure your anti-virus is updated. By the way, alerts/notifications are there for a reason. Heck, if you won't listen to it, then just uninstall your virus protection. It's like the traffic light on the street, ignoring it can be your doom. Hmm... let me guess, it was a picture you can't resist, wasn't it? ;)

2. Silhoutte james

On a popular internet site like Facebook that has drawn 100 million users worldwide, it also draws hackers. Facebook users have experienced an increase of Spam emails, hijacked accounts, and deactivated accounts. Back in late July, attacks were linked to Koobface, an internet worm that targeted Facebook and MySpace. Koobface sends malicious codes in forms of messages such as "You look funny in this new video" and "You look just awesome in this new movie" leads straight to the virus, so it's best to DON'T CLICK THE MESSAGE. When you're on a social networking site, pay close attention to executables downloaded to Windows machines, keep your machine fully patched and run updated anti-malware software.

3. Adrian Bagnato

I don't think you can catch a virus from a photo, on Facebook. But if you have a type of Antivirus program then you should do a full scan of your PC, who knows, you might find some other nasty's lurking in the dark corners...

You can only have ONE anti-virus at a time. Install any free anti-virus to scan your computer. Examples: avira free, avg free, avast free

If your anti-virus alerted you to the fact that there was malware in the pictures you were opening, why did you open them?

yap quite right:)

• Douglas Mutay

:) This is the story of Pandora's box. Maybe that the picture was too attractive... the perfect bait!

yap it must have been very attractive:) more than limit of DANGER

6. Sharon Daly

My computer has a virus, or has been hacked. You won't allow me to input info to get a new password, or to use any functions on Face Book for 2 days. I keep getting "likes" from parties I don't know. How do I unlike them. How do I get rid of the virus, or change my password, when you won't allow me access?

7. Zeeshan Soudagar

Just opening a pic your friend uploaded within fb is harmless, unless the link takes you to some other website. Your system will not catch a virus if you use fb just to view/like/comment on pages/photos/posts, make status updates or just scroll through your feed. The problem starts when you click on malicious links or approve malicious apps. So if you are sure you just clicked on the pic, and not a link, and the pic opened within fb itself, your system has not contacted the virus from fb but from some other activity. To be on the safer side go to your apps page and remove all apps you do not recognize approving and block them. Be sure to double check links from friends next time before clicking ;)

8. Ahmed Musani

if you have the pictures then scan the pictures via an antivirus. if nothing is detected then scan the whole computer using an antivirus. IS your computer able to boot?

How To Prevent & Remove Facebook Malware or Virus
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/prevent-remove-facebook-malware-or-virus/

Bitdefender SafeGo
    http://safego.bitdefender.com/twitter