How do I keep a good relationship with private advertisers on my blog?

November 4, 2013

There are two private companies advertising on my blog. One started advertising a month before the second one. It’s been six months now. On the first and second month, me and the advertisers use to chat via email (separate conversations, they don’t know each other). They used to tell me how their business is doing, and thank my site. They used to tell me they are receiving leads, but wouldn’t reveal the number of course. We use to advise each other about how we can maybe place ads for maximum exposure and all that.

But now all of a sudden, we do not chat anymore. I just send an invoice at the beginning of every month, they pay and that’s it! The following month, it’s will be a repeat of sending an invoice and getting paid.

I know I did not do anything wrong, otherwise they would stop advertising on my site.

My question: How do I keep a good relationship with them? What kind of questions should I ask them just to start up conversation? Or should I leave things as they are? I’m just afraid if we don’t have some sort of relationship, it will be easy for them to stop advertising on my blog, and I don’t want that because they pay me good money, a lot compared to Google Adsense. :)

1. Kev Q

I don't think you need to have any kind of "relationship" with your advertisers. If you want my honest advice, I personally think that you may have been a little over familiar in the beginning, and some could see that as being unprofessional. Many wouldn't, but some could.

It seems to me that the advertisers are happy with the service you're providing. They're paying the bills on time, and you're sending your invoices. If there's a problem, like the need an ad moving, or you've done something wrong, then I'm sure they would get in touch with you first, and give you the opportunity to put it right, rather than simply cancelling your arrangement.

I really wouldn't worry. However, if you do want to strike up a dialogue with the advertisers, then you could fire them an email asking how things are, and if there is anything you can do to help them. I think that will be enough to be honest with you. Good luck!

• Siya

Hi, I just want to say thank you very much for taking time to answer my question. I found your answer very useful, thanks again!