How do I install VPN on a router?

Linda Devies May 7, 2013

Hi there.. I have a confusion about how to install my VPN on a router. Im trying to make a wireless network so that i can easily connect my phone and laptop through a vpn on a wireless network. So far all i know is that VPNs are compatible with DDWRT routers.
1. Which router should i buy?
2. How am i supposed to install the VPN on that router?
Any help regarding this would be highly appreciated. :)

1. Linda Devies

hey thnx for the response everyone.. I got my Bf to fix this for me... :tee hee

2. Faizan Ali

Hey there Linda,
    You can visit the following link for more information on the router which would be suitable for VPN (http://www.bestvpnservice.com/blog/asus-rt-n16-review/)
    and regarding how to install a VPN on the router you can follow this blog http://www.bestvpnservice.com/blog/site-to-site-vpn-with-cisco-linksys-routers/
    Hope this helps...

regards

3. Jan Fritsch

I'm a bit confused by your question. VPN and WiFi are two different things.
    Do you need a wireless router that allows your wireless connected phone/laptop to open a VPN connection (VPN passthrough)? Do you need a wireless router that can act as a VPN server and/or client itself? Or do you simply want to connect your phone to your laptop via VPN?

Almost every router out there should support VPN passthrough for both, wired and wireless clients ~ so that shouldn't be the issue.

Acting as a VPN server is mostly limited to more expensive SOHO routers or devices using custom firmware like DD-WRT. Pretty much the same goes for routers that offer a VPN client.

If you just want a secure connection for your wireless clients (phone/laptop) just make sure to use proper encryption (WPA2 with a secure key) for your WiFI network.

Using both together would be a bit of overkill for a private/home setup – you'd be encrypting encrypted data. All an in all it would slow down your wireless clients.

If you are concerned about the wireless data transfer just make sure your wireless signal is pretty much contained (low/limited transmission power) so the signal doesn't really get out of your premises.

4. Erez Zukerman

If you're looking to install ddwrt, an excellent choice would be the Linksys WRT-54GL router. Widely available, and very much supported with ddwrt.

BEFORE you get the router and install ddwrt, read this about vpns from the ddwrt website: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VPN

If this is on your level of technical skill, go ahead! :) (It's not that complicated really. Just make sure you're not spending money on something you won't know how to use)

Are you simply attempting to set up a VPN between the phone and laptop or do you want either/both devices to connect to your home network via a VPN? Yes, there is a difference.

If you are attempting the former, the router doesn't matter as you are simply going to connect the two devices and not connect to the network in general.

The latter would allow you to connect to your network by setting up a VPN to the router itself and from there you can access any other device on your network as if you were accessing it from home.