How do I install only important updates from the notification list in Windows Update?

Dr.sunil V July 15, 2013

How do I install only the important updates from notification list in Windows 7 Update? Thanks

1. Tsf O

• Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.
    • In the left pane, click Change settings.
    • Under Important updates, click one of the following:
    • Install updates automatically (recommended)
    • Download updates but let me choose whether to install them
    • Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them
    • Never check for updates (not recommended)
    • To schedule your automatic updates, next to Install new updates, select the day and time you want updates to occur.
    • To get recommended updates for your computer, under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box.
    • To allow anyone using the computer to make updates, select the Allow all users to install updates on this computer check box. This applies only to updates and software that are installed manually; automatic updates will be installed regardless of the user.
    • Click OK. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

The below article mentions the way to install critical updates in a detailed manner for all Windows OSes -

http://agsci.psu.edu/it/how-to/install-high-priority-critical-updates

If you face some problems then apply some couple of hotfixes as mentioned in the following MSDN article -

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff637722%28v=azure.10%29.aspx

3. Chris M

You could turn off automatic updates and jsut do it all manually. that way, you only get the updates that you want/need.

By default, only the important and critical updates are installed. Recommended updates is an additional option that is enabled in the Windows Updates settings (Start - Windows Update - Change settings). Even if this option is checked, the system does not always automatically select all recommended updates. If you never want recommended updates to be automatically selected for installation, clear the checbox in the Recommended updates section of the settings page. Optional updates are just that and the system never automatically selects them.