How do I install my Belkin Wi-Fi adapter on Linux Fedora core 5?

October 19, 2013

It seems the operating system isn’t compatible with most other software and when I go to my computer and open it up it prompts to choose a program to open it with. I am unfamiler with the what to choose to open the drivers for my adapter to install them for network connectivity.

I am just learning how to use Linux Fedora and this has confused me. Do I have to use a program or one of the apps to read the file to install the drivers in order to make it compadable with fedora? Otherwise, what else can I do to install the N150 USB Belkin network adapter?

Editor’s note: Question heavily edited for readability (submitted all caps, no punctuation).

1. dragonmouth

One problem may be that you are using a very old version of Fedora (Core 5). They dropped the designation "Core" with version 7. Fedora is currently on version 19. I would suggest you download the latest version, install it and see if your Belkin WiFi adapter is recognised. If it is not, let us know and we'll see what we can do.

2. dragonmouth

"if the router linked above"
    It is not a router, it is an adapter.

"for which there’s no native Linux driver"
    If the adapter uses a Ralink chipset, Debian repositories show "firmware-ralink". I do not have Fedora installed so I cannot tell what the equivalent Fedora file would be.

Are you referring to the router linked below -

N150 Wireless USB Adapter

If yes,then if you look at the system requirements,then you can see that it comes with support for Windows drivers only.So,you'll have to depend upon tips provided by forum users linked below -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1482382&page=2&s=db531633952217becb80db2689f55389

Go through the suggestions provided in the forum and you might be able to configure your router properly.

• dragonmouth

Why recommend the Ubuntu forum when the questioner is using FEDORA???

• Susendeep D

It's very complex to find drivers for a hardware if the vendor doesn't supports its for a OS.

The Ubuntu forum suggests lsusb command which is used to recognize the type of chipset used in the adapter.This command is also applicable in Fedora too.

Now,if the router linked above,that I've asked for confirmation is it,then the model number is F9L1001ak ,for which there's no native Linux driver and the user has to depend upon Ndiswrapper for it to work.

See the link below for the list of supported devices -

http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_chipset.php?chipset=Ralink