How do I install a clean copy of Windows 7 on a laptop without deleting data?
Question by Igor Rizvi? /

How can I do a clean installation of Windows 7 on an old laptop that has separate partitions? C: is the system files, yet D: has very important files that I am afraid I would loose at installation. How can I install a fresh copy without deleting data on D:?

• Qin Tang

Hi, you’d better back up all your important data. And if you would like you can make a new partition for installing a clean new Windows 7 with Partition Wizard.

• Newell Fisk

You can transfer the memory to a storage box, put windows 7 on and then put the memory back

• Jim Chambers

Installation of Win 7 on C: won’t delete data on D:. However, will your “old laptop” support Win 7. 32 bit requires min. 1GB RAM while 64 bit needs 2GB and are hardware drivers available. If you’re so worried about D: data, back it up to an external HDD or flash-drive.

• Charles Yost

Files on drive D should be fine as long as you don’t install Windows 7 on that drive. Installation only takes place on the drive that you select and will not interfere with any other drives that you may have on your computer.

• Igor Rizvi?

Yes,but what when Im isntallin from old but great xp to a clean copy of a win7 on a c disk ,wont that corrupt my files on d? (if its lets say a xp 32bit,and i want to install win7 ultimate 64 or 32? )

• Tech geek

If you reinstall or format windows 7 on c drive not any file affected on d drive

when you boot on windows installation dvd, choose the partition on which the old version of windows is installed and proceed with formatting and reinstalling
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1_11.htm

How To Reinstall Windows 7 Without Changing Your Personal Settings, Installed Programs & Drivers
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/reinstall-windows-7-changing-personal-settings-installed-programs-drivers/

• James Johnston

I can think of 2 options for you.

Option 1:

Purchase a new hard drive and install windows 7 on that.Take your old drive and install it into a USB external hard drive case. This way, your files are safe for you to copy over to your new drive or put anywhere you want. I have done this option a few times.

Option 2:

Backup your important files and then use the Installation disk to format the system files partition and install windows 7. This step is a little more risky if you haven’t installed Windows before.

If C drive is where your system files are, then formatting that drive will only delete the system files, program files, and regular files that are there. Any other drive, or partitions should not be deleted unless you go in there and tell it to wipe it out. Also, you will have to re-install all of your programs that are installed to the second partition.

If you need more instruction on how do the install, I can give you some basic instruction here.

• Alex Schnapps

If you are installing on the C: drive, even with its formatting, files stored on the disk D: isn’t threatened.

• N. Nitesh Kumar Jain

Igor Rizvi,

First and foremost, before proceeding for clean installation of Windows 7, I would strongly recommend you to take a backup of your important data and other files you require.

Secondly, please contact the service engineer of the company whose laptop you are using. They will perform the necessary action and thereby ensure safety of your data.

Better to take full precaution rather than regret over loss of data.

Regards.