How do I import email from Outlook 2011 into Mac Mail in OS X Lion?
Question by Travis /

How do you import your mailboxes from Outlook 2011 into the Mail application within Mac OS X Lion?

I only see Entourage in the list of options to import a mailbox. Why has it not been updated to import from Outlook 2011? And how do you do it?

• Tony Gump

here’s a tool that can help you.

All the best

• Travis

Thanks for help, this is the way i preferred transferring my mails. Its quick and easy.

There were some satisfying suggestions suggested in previous similar questions.Like –

Why can’t I move my emails to Apple Mail? (See Tony’s Answer)

If you update your Outlook to latest version then you can drag an Outlook 2011 folder to desktop and can import to Apple Mail as mentioned in an updated post of the below article –

Export From Outlook 2011 Mac & Import .eml Files Into Apple Mail

• Oron Joffe

Another option which may work for you is to use the IMAP protocol as an intermediary. You do not have to use your original mail account for that, a free GMail account will do just fine.
    Start Outlook 2011, connect to the email account using IMAP and drag the messages onto the server (the IMAP “branch” of the folders). You can use both messages (inbox, sent items) and entire folders (ones you have created). When all messages have been uploaded, connect to the same account using Mail, and the folders & messages will be automatically synchronised.
    If you didn’t use your real email account for this, copy the messages onto local folders (“On My Mac”) before removing the IMAP account and connecting your normal account. Otherwise, you’re good to go!
    The only catch with this system is that it can be slow, and depending on how much mail you have and your connection speed (and potentially, server speed), it could be a matter of many hours before you complete the process. Still, you can leave the computer to do its thing and get on with other activities!

• Travis

I have gone for this Imap thing before but the fact is a have thousands of mails to transfer and transferring through imap takes a lot of time in fact days and also disturbs the folder hierarchy.

• Oron Joffe

This seems to be the Outlook-Mac Mail import/export season! We’ve had several similar questions recently. Anyway, the simplest way to do this, if you still have access to Outlook 2011, is to export your mail in MBOX format, and then use Mail’s “Import” facility which will take the message in.

It is a 7 page discussion Apple forum thread, which will help you with lot of useful tips.

In the thread I somewhere read about the drop folder feature, which also this video talks about :