How do I get Skype working on my desktop computer?

Anonymous December 3, 2013

I’ve never had troubles with Skype before but I just moved to new apartments and I had to cancel my Skype subscriptions because I could not make a single call that the person on the other end could hear. They would answer the phone but they couldn’t receive audio.

I’m just using Skype to Skype and the minute I connect with someone I get that red window popping up, indicating bad call quality or whatever it says and it ends by usually dropping the call.

I don’t know if my Brighthouse cable is doing something, since the apartments provide free TV so we have the cheapest Internet they offer, which has always worked fine with Skype. Here’s the kicker: When I use my Droid phone (no service just WiFi) it is the only device that will keep the Skype call up so I know this stuff works. But on my droid tablet and my PCs, the call drops or sound drops instantly. So I’m wondering if the cable company has gotten cookies or something on the router to block Skype calls.

Why does my phone using the same WiFi as everything else keep it up but not one other PC or device can keep it up. I really need Skype to work as I’m paying some dude 100/hour for training and al my devices are dropping Skype except one phone. Is the cable company throttling my Internet? Any help would be great. My apartments have free Brighthouse cable TV, so all I’m paying for is the lowest speed Internet but that shouldn’t be the problem unless Brighthouse is basically saying you must pay for higher speeds for it work.

I only need Skype to work and why would it work on my Droid phone and keep the call up?

1. Matt S

Do you connect via WiFi on your PC? If so, perhaps there is some interference or an obstacle causing problems. Try re-positioning your computer, your router, or both, or buying a WiFi signal booster.

If you're not connecting via WiFi, then perhaps your Ethernet adapter is slow or not working properly. You should try going to Speedtest.net and see what kind of bandwidth you're pulling down. If it looks way off what it should be given your Internet connection, that might be your problem.

Skype needs at minimum 30kbps bandwidth up and down so it should work even with an obsolete 56k modem connection.

My first attempt would be connecting your computer using a cable rather than WiFi and see if that fixes the problem. If it does work using a cable it simply is your WiFi signal.
    Even if you test all of your devices in the same spot they may have different wireless chips and therefor better or worse connection to the WiFi. One can only try relocating the WiFi access point/router or try a different wireless channel.

Next step would be testing your internet. Try speed tests around the net, see if surfing or downloading works fine. If everything seems normal you may have to contact your providers support and ask them check your connection.

Yes, there are providers blocking Skype but what are the odds? I have never encountered one.