How do I get OCR software to recognize my document image files?

Abhishek S August 24, 2013

I am using OCR software to convert document images to text but some image files cannot be opened.

I have a bunch of images and I have to submit them in .txt files.  I tried free OCR software, top OCR software and many more but they didn’t work and with free OCR software my image didn’t even open.

We need some more information. Most importantly, what format (JPG, GIF, something else?) do you save your images in, and what OCR software you use. As dragonmouth says, having the error message itself will also help.
    By the way, for best results you should scan in TIF format (conversion from JPG after the fact won't help here, and ideally at 300 DPI, unless the text is absolutely tiny, in which case 400 DPI would be better. That said, most OCR will work fine with JPG or GIF, and possibly even PDF.

2. dragonmouth

If you get any error messages, please post them. They will help to diagnose the actual problem.