How do I get my Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 Windows 8 laptop to turn on?

Linda W August 14, 2013

Any ideas of what I can do? I’m was having other problems like it wasn’t updating and it said my “history drive” is missing. I’m writing this on my Kindle Fire. It’s a Dell laptop 8GB memory and 1 TB hard drive.

The model is: Dell Inspiron 15R 5521.

Also the power brick’s red light is on. I tried using a power brick from my old Dell computer. I know the power brick works because I’ve used it before.

With the battery unplugged, try plugging in the power adapter and power on the device. If this doesn't work, then either the ac adapter is bad (you mentioned it isn't since it works on another laptop), the dc power input on your laptop is bad, or your motherboard is bad.

• Linda W

Thanks TO everyone. I called Dell last night and told I'm sick of calling them and they never fix it, even though they say it's fine . So I told them to take it back made FIX it right or give me a new one . Now we all know that will never happen. So wish me luck, I really think I got a lemon.

2. Bill H

Bit more info please. Do you have no power at all (the LCD does not back lit) or do you you get the Dell Logo?

3. Linda W

Thanks for writing an answer to my question, but it didn't work
    .. Thanks anyway.

have you tried to reset cmos battery?
      can you boot with a live cd?
      you can try to refresh Windows 8, but all programs will be uninstalled but no files/folders will be deleted.

Try performing a power reset. With the laptop unplugged and the battery taken out, press the power button on the laptop for around 45 seconds. This should release the power being held on the motherboard and may allow for your laptop to power on again. Let us know if this works or not.