How do I get my computer to keep time and date correct?

September 8, 2013

I recently did a system restore and ever since my computer will not keep time and date correct. I had disabled some programs at start up, I could have disabled what keeps time and date, I’m just not sure what that would look like. So, I did a system restore from before I disabled the few programs at start up and my computer still wont keep time and date in real time.

Paul got all the main points in a nutshell. Your CMOS battery should keep your clock running fairly accurately, so if that's not happening, replace the battery (difficult in laptops, I know, but that's the way it is). Keeping the system time *completely* accurate is a matter of using an NTP server (also known as "Internet time server").

after the above suggestions, reset cmos battery or replace it with new one.

3. Rama M

Synchronise with Internet Time ..
    Time.windows.com

as same as Paul said.

4. Alan W

Does it lose time when you cold start the machine? It could be the cmos battery.
    There is an excellant walkthrough on how to change the battery here: http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000239.htm

5. Paul P

It could be your motherboard's battery just happened to go dead at the same time.

One way to correct this is to tell WIndows to sync time with an internet source:
    1. Left click on the time and date on the right of the task bar.
    2. Choose the "Change date and time settings..." link on the bottom of the clock window.
    3. Choose the "Internet Time" tab.
    4. Choose the "Change settings..." button.
    5. Check the "Synchronize time with an internet time server."
    6. Choose a time server, then click the "Update Now" button. If you get an error, don't choose that server.

By the way in the US, NIST refers to the the National Institute of Standards.