How do I get better Internet service in an area with only one Internet provider?

H N September 5, 2013

In Neil Tarvin’s manual “Cutting the Cord” he bypasses an important issue cord-cutting issue: What about Internet providers?

In the article he just said something like “if you are reading this you have internet”. Well, where I live there are very few internet providers. The one that monopolizes our area is also the only available cable service. They are expensive AND cruddy.

So that’s where I keep getting stuck. Sure, cutting the cord info is increasingly available but where/how to get the internet service that isn’t controlled by “The Cord”?

1. Matt S

The only other option is satellite Internet. That can be fairly fast, but it's usually a bit more per month, and has an installation fee. Also, ping times are high, so it doesn't really work for gaming.

You make an interesting point. The article is clearly written from a very particular viewpoint (a city in the US, I would guess), and the equation would work differently for different people, or not at all! In terms of Internet access, all you can do is look at all the options available in your area and choose the best one.

3. Guy M

You mention that there are a 'few providers.' If that's the case, you can try playing them off one another for the best deal.
    Do you have cellular service where you are at? If so, you might look at the cell service providers and what their data plans are like.
    I'm also wondering what you specifically mean by 'expensive AND cruddy'.