How do I fix this BSOD?

Joses Lemmuela June 18, 2013

I’m not sure I should post this in the hardware section instead, but here it is.

This computer is pretty new by the way. About a few days ago, I changed my motherboard and my graphics card. Before and after that, I had been installing lots of things, including programs and drivers (installed the new motherboard before the change, while the display driver after the change). The latest programs I installed,(based on system restore) were Java(both 32-bit and 64-bit version), Speccy and Steam. Computer was working after a few reboot, and it shut down normally.

And yesterday, suddenly, when I tried to boot on the computer, it got after the “Starting Windows” animation, the bootup sound, and then a few black and grey screens(could move the pointer/mouse for a few times), and there’s also a few strangely colorful buzzing screen, then, finally, a Blue Screen. If I don’t turn off the “automatic restart upon error/failure” setting, the computer will keep restarting infinitely.

Both safe modes (with networking) worked fine, so I tried to run AVG command line, which somehow displayed 104 infections, but didn’t fix it even when the clean automatically is checked. Searches around the net showed that it’s display related, but I’m not sure. And unless I’m sure, I’m too lazy to re-clean install the Windows.

I can’t exactly post the screenshot (phone won’t connect to computer because of Safe Mode, sorry), but here’s the last 10 or so lines:

“Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000116 (0xFFFFFA8006693010, 0xFFFFF880042CE26C, 0x0000000000000000, 0
x0000000000000002)

*** atikmpag.sys – Address FFFFF880042CE26C base at FFFFF880042C5000, DateStamp
50133d07

Collecting data for crash dum …
Initializing disdk for crash dump …
Beginning dump of physical memory.
Dumping physical memory to disk: 1000
Physical memory dumpp complete.
Contact your system admin or technical support group for further assistance.”

The specifications of my computer:
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 @3.40 GHz
Memory: 8 GB (don’t remember the brand/type)
PSU: Enlight 600 Watt (don’t remember the type)
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB
Motherboard(before change): Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2P
Motherboard(after change): Asus P8H77-M LE
Graphics card(before change): BioStar GT630
Graphics card(after change): Gigabyte Radeon HD 7750

Damnit, what’s with my luck XD.

1. Amichai Rotman

Open Device Manager
    Click View -> Show hidden devices
    Check all of the devices for old nVidia instances and uninstall them.
    Reboot

Good Luck

• Joses Lemmuela

I checked under Non-Plug and Play Drivers section and there doesn't seem anything NVIDIA related anymore, thanks for the info/answer!
      Joses

2. Amichai Rotman

It seems there is a conflict between the previous nVidia based video card and the current ATI card.

Try using Revo Uninstaller or similar tool to completely remove all nVidia related programs / drivers etc.

Then reboot and let Windows detect the card and install the driver automatically. Then download the latest driver suite from ATI's support web site and install it.

Good luck!

• Joses Lemmuela

I see, I already uninstalled the related nVidia programs beforehand, but I will check again for the drivers anyway.
      I already have the up-to-date ATI driver, though.

Thank you for answering,
      Joses

Boot into Safe Mode. Change your display settings to the lowest resolution and highest color depth. Reboot the computer. Once you log in again (since your display should be working correctly now), reset your display with your preferred settings. You may also want to verify that you are using the latest ATI display drivers and if your previous drivers were NVIDIA as opposed to your current ATI drivers, you may want to make sure you completely remove them as well.

• Joses Lemmuela

I already resolved the question, but what does changing display setting to the lowest resolution and highest color depth do? will it make the computer readjust the driver or resolution somehow?
      I might as well do the latter part.

Thanks for the answer!
      Joses

Your "strangely colorful buzzing screen" occurs most frequently when the refresh rate of the monitor cannot support the rate that is being presented by the video card. In this case, dropping the resolution to its lowest value pretty much guarantees that the rate being issued by the video card will match one of the rates the monitor can deal with. Jacking up the color depth just makes sure the video card doesn't do something stupid - namely dropping into a 16-color or 256-color mode which looks horrendous on most displays.

• Joses Lemmuela

I see, was kind of wondering what the screen was about. I did mess with the refresh rate before, but I was sure that I set it back to default.
      Anyway, thank you very much for the information!
      Joses

0×00000116 can be your graphic card driver, in device manager go to your graphic card driver, right click on it and choose uninstall (do not delete) reboot windows will install the graphic card driver.

1) Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt
    2) right click, then select Run As Administrator.
    3) type: sfc /scannow

The nvlddmkm error - What is it? An FYI for those seeing this issue
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/413110/geforce-drivers/the-nvlddmkm-error-what-is-it-an-fyi-for-those-seeing-this-issue/

• Joses Lemmuela

Hello again.
      I tried the first 4 lines of the steps.. aaand it works!! My computer is now back and running again normally.. never thought it would really work.
      You, sir, are really a genius of the MUO.

Thank you very much for the response,
      Joses

thanks for your feedback, glad that problems were solved, if you would like to close the thread as solved from your makeuseof account select the best answer to be marked as solved.

• Joses Lemmuela

Yeah, I'm just waiting for a reply, thank you again anyway.