How do I fix my phone after updating to a new version of CyanogenMod?

Cristián T November 11, 2013

I have a Samsung Galaxy S III (Verizon) SCH-I535. I rooted it, unlocked the bootloader and enjoyed a freshly installed version of CyanogenMod. After a few weeks there came out a new version of it, and after installing it, a variety of disappointing changes were made to my phone. The search bar on the home screen was changed from Google Now to something else which I don’t recognize (or like, for that matter), Google Play was completely firewalled and stopped from being able to access the Internet, ROM Manager was deleted from my phone, the reinstalled version of ROM Manager using an APK file I downloaded off the Internet crashes every time I try to run it, and my data connectivity has been changed from 3G/4G to LTE. I’m trying to find out how to revert these changes, without damaging my phone. This is very frustrating for me, and I have no idea what to do, since my phone now can’t do certain things that it could once do. Thank you very much for your time and help.

Cristián,

Kindly mark your question as resolved.

Boot into recovery to do clear the dalvik cache, power your phone off. Then power back on holding power and volume down. Navigate to recovery.

[Q] How to go from Cyanogenmod 10.1 to Stock rom?
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2076668

If you still have the older CyanogenMod zip file, transfer it to your phone and install it through the ClockworkMod Recovery (or other custom recovery). You would need the GApps zip file that is compatible, as well, and install it.

If you used ClockworkMod or TWRP custom recovery, there would have been the option to backup your phone. If you did backup the phone, then go back into your recovery and go into the Backup and Restore option. Restore your phone to an earlier date (it will revert your phone back to how it was when you backed up your phone, settings, apps, and all).

Having a custom recovery is a great thing since you can backup your phone and revert back at any time, and you can install any compatible ROM at any time, as many times as you would like. If something goes wrong (aside from a true hard brick), you can always install other ROMs until you are satisfied.

• Cristián T

Thanks for the help! It worked!