How do i fix my laptop that has no video display?

Nefeli L September 28, 2013

My HP/Compaq turns on but the screen stays black.  I can hear the fan working but nothing else is functioning.
I tried removing the battery and putting it back in but nothing.

I'd combine Bruce & Hovsep's approaches. Connect an external screen, adn press the "internal/external screen" F-key combination (hold down Fn and press the key with the picture of a screen, or screens).
    If, after several presses, you still get no joy, there could be something wrong with the hardware of your computer. It could simply be one of the leads leading to the screen, or it can be a more serious problem on the motherboard, which may well be beyond economic repeair. At any rate, if the internal/external screen trick does not fix things, I'd suggest taking it to a professional for an inspection and a quote.

you can also connect to external monitor to check if it is not Windows problem.

Make sure you have not accidentally switched the display configuration to use an external monitor. On a Compaq laptop, Fn-F4 is the usual key combination to toggle the laptop/external display. If that does not work, also try Fn-F8 to increase the display brightness on most Compaq laptops (Fn-F7 decreases the brightness).