How do I find out what version my phone is?

Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda June 7, 2013

How do I find out whether my phone is the American version, international version, or a Chinese knockoff? Is there a way? Please don’t think that I’m being racist when I say “Chinese knockoff” as that is the way I was taught to say it growing up.

1. Leland Whitlock

A model # would help identify it and also specify the carrier if it is carrier specific. Since you gave no details I am guessing you want to figure out the rest yourself. If so just do a search on your model # and you should find the details you need.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Where do I find my model number?

• Leland Whitlock

One method assuming you are using Android would be to go into Settings > About Phone and look at the Model number. You might also look at the label on the backside of your phone under the battery assuming it has a removable battery.

Another way to find the model number is to Google search with your phone name and the model number would be visible in the manufacturer's site.

• Leland Whitlock

You might also need to include the carrier in the search for the model number since some are specific to certain carriers.

By checking the model number of your phone in internet.Most probably,Gsmarena's site will show up in 1st or 2nd place which will specify whether it's CDMA or GSM or international.

For Example,if you have Samsung Galaxy S3,then the model number -

GT-I9300 - is international without LTE.

GT-I9305 - international LTE version.

SCH-I535 - US version with Verizon carrier.

SPH-L710 - US version with Sprint carrier.

A Chinese knockoff will not be as powerful,fluid as the original one and might have Mediatek processor,non Amoled display.

• Cristián Torres-Gluck Balmaceda

Ok, then I have the SCH-I535. Thanks for helping!

3. Rob H

Look in the menu system, it usually tells you somewhere - try something like "system settings". Alternatively it will be written on the hardware somewhere, maybe if you take the battery out you'll find a label.

Mine, although branded by the network provider with their own model name, has both a menu option (Settings>About) and a label under the battery telling me its model name, reference number and software version according to the manufacturer.

Phone details will help!

5. Scott Kupferman

What kind of phone is it?

perhaps through mac address of the phone

7. Phuc Ngoc

I think that IMEI numbers are there for a reason. Check your IMEI number online and see what you have