How do I enable remote desktop?

Sharon Vanhoose March 28, 2013

You guys were great with network question. I am trying to set up remote desktop on a PC with Windows 7 Professional. I have enabled and changed the port in registry because there are multiple computers through the same router – I think my problem is the settings on Netgear router. I went to port forwarding an entered and put the port number and IP under vpn-pptp. I went to firewall on the PC and enable remote access and entered the same port. Is there a step that I am missing?

1. David C

[ed. REMOVED content that was cut and pasted from Microsoft. See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc727977%28v=ws.10%29.aspx for the content of the original comment.]

2. Alison Gent

first make sure that the computer you want to connect to has remote access turned on (this works both ways both computers have to be excepting of each other otherwise they wont play in the Sandpit together)

Then go back to the computer you want to remote desktop from and type in remote desctop in win search. then go to options and put in the required information and connect...I would first try this nect to the computer you want to remote access because their will be a few things you need to sort out on bothe computers...like degrees of access and such... good luck

3. Uchitha Jayathissa

Add Remote desktop user group to the user or turn on remote desktop from MyComputer Properties-> Remote Settings

4. Sharon V

I didn't sign form just had to write letter that I would not use and send signed copy. I use wot love it. I think most of the complaints were from companies using their software to scam others but you could do that with teamviewer or any similar program. I appreciate you removing link though it is just the idea that you have to sign an agreement like that with no guarantees from their end. I added that if my computers were breached that I would take action against them as well. That is just crazy and totally ridiculous to have to go through such lengths to get your fee refunded. And to be honest I am not real happy about doing business with Russian Federation. That is the sad part about on line you don't know who you are dealing with really.

5. Sharon V

whoever suggested ammyy - thanks the program didn't work as described and to get a refund I have to send hard copy letter to :the russian federation. Which means I will probably never get my bosses money refunded and who knows what they do with credit card information. I may end up losing my job over that one. Thanks a lot.

you did try the free version first? i checked that url link with virustotal and it is clean, do you know who guided you to this product?
      https://www.virustotal.com/fr/url/d802ede2968c68ade853b21f8e232c336af0fa721b84eedc21b7380ad4105cd7/analysis/1364915173/

• Sharon V

The program is clean I guess but it doesn't work but on one computer and I did download the free trial it worked fine and I talked to their chat people and was given the impression I could use on more than one computer but really you can use the one computer to access others but i need mutiple computers mutiple access. The problem is I have to sign an agreement that I will never use their software again and if i do I have to pay 9900.00 to them and then how can I be sure that they don't remote in and use it when they have my info. I am just so frustrated over this whole experience by now - oh and I have to mail hard copy of agreement to Russia before they will begin to process my return it will be years before i get money refunded if ever. My boss isn't going to be happy about that. So I signed the agreement and rest assured I will never ever use that program again, but I don't control everyone here and I just have a feeling I am going to have this come back to haunt me. Plus I still cannot get my boss on line. I spent to much time reading about remote access and trying every option that I read and was suggested and was at the end of my rope to try this program and now with this happening I honestly don't know what to do. I am just totally frustrated. But please never recommend that program to anyone. It may be great but when you have to such hoops to get a refund. I have no choice but to sign agreement and have a feeling it is going to end badly.

• Tina Sieber

Sharon,

I'm very sorry for your bad experience with a program that was recommended here. I have removed all links to the program. Thank you for bringing this to our attention so quickly!

I would strongly advise against signing an agreement without fully reading all the small print. Also do not send any documents to this company in Russia (yet). Please get in touch with a local consumer organization to get professional advice on what to do in this situation and to have the agreement you were given double-checked. Maybe there is a way to get your money back that none of us know of.

In terms of security, keep an extra eye on the payment method you used to pay for the program. Also uninstall the program and if possible change passwords on the computer it was installed and install a firewall.

Just to let you know, we do check all links and try to catch those that are not legit. We rely on our gut instinct and tools like Web of Trust (WOT), which offer security ratings for websites. The WOT rating for ammyy is fine at first sight, but reveals issues when looking at the detailed scorecard.

6. Ole Funch

My best bit is, use TeamViewer, this is the most usefull remote assistent I have ever used.
    As an alternative, you may use the remote assistent which is included is Avast Antivirus free edition.

7. julien c

Your not allowed to remote desktop from outside of your network, don't worry there are many alternatives. My favorite is Teamviewer, free simple and lotsss of features.

• Sharon V

teamviewer isn't free for commercial use

8. Michael Heffner

I spent over 15 years as a PC tech and every time I've ever used the built in remote desktop it's been nothing but a pain. Your best bet is to install VNC of which there are many free variations. (I normally use UltraVNC http://www.uvnc.com/ ) It's easy to install and setup, and some routers support being a VNC gateway allowing you to run it on multiple machines behind the router without having to setup different ports for each one. If your router doesn't support that option, for just three machines, the ports to open are easy to do and will not create a security risk provided you use strong passwords. (You can even set it up to use the Microsoft domain authentication if you want) Once installed it can be locked down so the end user cannot change any settings or disable the software.

Any time you give your boss a free solution to a problem it's a good deal for you both.

9. Chinmay Sarupria

HowToGeek has a detailed tutorial on enabling Remote Desktop on XP, Vista and 7
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9302/use-remote-desktop-to-access-other-computers-on-a-small-office-or-home-network/

10. vicntc

Why not use VNC?
    http://www.realvnc.com/

11. null

The first thing to do is restart the system that you changed the RDP port on. I have forgotten more that once.

12. Avinash

You need to check, if you have enabled Remote connections to that PC, from computer properties.

If yes, then try to do a ping to that IP address assigned to that PC, if yes then you should be able to rdp to it.
    If not, then assign a IP to the current machine in the same subnet and then try to do a ping.

As long as you are able to do a ping, you'll be able to take a RDP session

• Sharon V

I pinged ip address all worked but rdp didn't work

13. Pulkit Saraf

Remote Desktop is disabled by default in Windows 7 or Vista, but it’s easy enough to turn it back on. If you need to access your Vista PC from another box, it’s an essential thing to turn on.
    To get to the configuration page, you can either right-click the Computer icon and choose properties, or you can type in system into the start menu search box, and then find the entry for System.

Now you’ll want to click the Remote Settings
    To connect from another Vista / Win7 PC on the same network, click the bottom radio button. If you need to connect from an XP/2k machine, click the “Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop” radio button.

Don’t worry about setting up firewall rules, Vista or Windows 7 does that for you automatically.

you can also try with softwares like ammyy, team viewer which are free.

14. prashanth singh rathore

To enable or disable remote desktop, open the start menu and right click on Computer and select Properties:
    Then click Remote Settings in the left column of the control panel:
    This will bring up the Remote Settings tab under System Properties. There are 3 options you can select to control the Remote Desktop settings:
    • Don't allow connections to this computer: This will disable remote desktop on your machine, blocking any connections
    • Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop: This setting will allow computers running older versions of Windows to connect to your machine. This uses a less secure method, but may need to be enabled in some cases.
    • Allow connections only from computer running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (more secure): Recent versions of Windows can connect to Windows 7 using this setting, which is recommended where possible.

• Sharon V

I tried all the helps = did everything just like it said but it would never let me through so I am trying to talk my boss into buying Ammyy pro version. It seems to be the cheapest option for us to be able to remote into multiple computers.

• prashanth singh rathore

hmm that's much better....!! :)

15. Fawad A

Honestly just use Teamviewer. It so much easier and safer to use. Not only that but its compatible with most devices. Also if you didnt want to install it, it also has a portable version that is fully functional. I hope this has helped :)

Most of your questions can be answered at this Microsoft site:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/remote-desktop-connection-frequently-asked-questions

If you are still unclear or it still wont work then please tell us, we will be happy to help you further.

17. Chinmay Sarupria
    • Sharon V

I can't use teamviewer because this is for a commercial location
      Chrome remote is only short term - this needs to be available at any time
      Log me in is a pay service and we need to use on 3 computer so that isn't feasible.
      I will look at the other not familiar with it.

18. moe3ius

The OS remote desktop its a little insecure, better idea its use the teamviewer or logme in, install it in personal use option and You identification its your email and another password.

That its the more funtional and secure way to do the remote use of any computer.

Are you connecting on a local network or over the internet? I ask this because I want to understand why you made any kind of changes on your router.

Have you added the appropriate users to the list who are allowed to access the remote machine?

Changing the port used for Remote Desktop is unnecessary since the connection will be established by using the computer name.

If the computer you are connecting from is not on the same network (over the internet), you probably need to create a VPN connection to your remote network first. I have not had the need to connect via RD, so I am unsure about this.

Another potential solution is using TeamViewer. You just set it up to run as a host on the remote machine and you can access it from anywhere without having to mess around with firewalls, routers, etc. It just works. And it is free for non-commercial use. I use it all the time to work on systems for my parents and siblings.

• Sharon V

I use teamviewer a lot as well but this is for my boss so that she can access her work computer from vacation. We have a static IP address then go through a router to create dynamic ip addresses. There are actually 3 computers that would be great to be able to access from outside (people working from home) If we use a service like teamviewer etc. the cost will be outrageous. The computers here also remote into a server at another location and we have to other locations that remote into the server as well. The other two locations connecting to the server have vpn's because the software they run requires it. The ones here just use Quickbooks which is housed locally so we really don't need a vpn. She just needs to be able to do a few things remotely.

• Sharon V

over the internet - we have a server at a different location I access it fine it has vpn at that location and two others but we don't have vpn here and really don't need one I just need to access remotely but I am obviously missing something I have read every help tried every software. Teamviewer works great but this is a business and we cannot afford to pay for multiuser license. The ammyy license said you could connect mulitple locaitons but its only on pc which is misleading so I scrapped it. Chrome remote doesn't work Logmein is reasonable but when we need to access 3 computers it still is significant especially when the technology is there. Our IT guys charge 90 hour to configure this so software is cheaper than they are. I am not totally stupid but I cannot get this to work and it is driving me crazy - everything I read is conflicting. You need to configure firewall - you don't you need to forward port / you don't ) I have tried doing all and doing none = nothing works. ????

1) uncheck the TCP/IP v6
    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/ipv6/general/ipv6-09.html?&printer=1
    2) remote desktop, tab ADVANCED-Connect and don't warn me.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951616
    3)Do not use an RD Gateway server
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772479.aspx
    4)Recheck TCP/IP v6

Running 32-bit Remote Desktop Connection on Windows 64 bit
    http://www.davidmoore.info/2009/12/02/running-32-bit-remote-desktop-connection-on-windows-64-bit/

21. Chris Marcoe

How are you going to do the remote desktop[? Are you using the windows functionality for this? If so, you have to search for remote on your computer. It will bring you to the remote desktop help.

22. Jan Fritsch

I don't have a Netgear router at hand but VPN-PPTP shouldn't have anything to do with Remote Desktop or port forwarding. Most likely it is only the configuration for VPN pass-through.

Your router should have a settings page dedicated and actually called "Port forwarding" for that purpose.

• Sharon V

The VPN pass through was the only thing that sounded close - others were ftp http internet game sites - net meeting - news
      The VPN PPTP let me customize a setting that is why I picked that one and it was under the port forwarding option. I tried getting help through netgear's chat help and was in que for over an hour and never got response.

• Jan Fritsch

What is the model of your Netgear router? Maybe I can find a screenshot online to give you better instructions.

Usually the page should look something like this:
      http://kbserver.netgear.com/images/1145_ports_app.gif

Then all you have to do is click "add custom service" and then you can enter all the details yourself.

One example of that can be found here
      http://www.insteon.com/port-forward-netgear-router.html

• Jan Fritsch

One additional thing:
      Remote Desktop works different on workstations than it does on servers. It does not allow concurrent users or the same user twice (e.g. like the administrator on a Windows Server).

There is one workaround explained here but I haven't tested it.
      http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-enable-multiple-concurrent-user-in-remote-desktop-windows-7/

The best way to go about it is to leave the desired workstation on the log on screen when you want to remote control it.

• Sharon V

The add custom services is what I did

• Sharon V

this isn't a workstation it is a computer that connects via a modem from charter - but we have a static ip address so it first goes to charter modem with static then router to create dynamic ip
      I tried using ammyy but was led to believe it would work on several pcs but it was only one. I tried the free program recommended I could not get it to start I am at a loss