How do I enable a custom audio file as ringtone in Windows Phone 8?

Drsunil V July 18, 2013

I have moved audio files to the ringtone subfolder of Phone folder. But even then the files are not seen in the list of ringtones. Only Nokia and Windows Phone sections of default ringtones are seen – what gives?

1. Derrice P

I am a Windows 8 phone user, having been a 7 user previously. The platform is largely the same with the exception of some exciting new features. The interface has changed which is beautiful for iTunes users, as your phone now supports the use of your music library. While that interface isn't nearly as polished as Itunes it has a coon feature that allows you to white box songs for use as a ringtone. They show up as soon as the phone finishes syncing. Since my computer wasn't available as I posted this I can't accurately walk you through the process, but help and features should help immensely.

HAve a read at the article - Everything You Need to Know About Adding Ringtones on Windows Phone 8.

It mentions how to add ringtones in WP8.

• Drsunil V

I have noted the link

Pl note that after moving mp3 tone to Ringtone folder in phone through pc the mp3 tone was not seen in list of ringtones on phone

• Susendeep D

Try setting up the genre as ringtone of audio file.Also,try dragging and dropping the audio file to the ringtone folder.The editing of genre and other ID3 tags cannot be done via phone so you will have to do this via Music player software like MusicBee or any other player.

Also,try to move the audio file to phone using MusicBee,Winamp etc. if the above step doesn't helps.

What is the file format, file size, and audio length? Sometimes the quality of the audio file can be too high, like 192kbps instead of 128kbps or 96kbps.

Try the guide I linked to above, where it says:
    "Zune for PC users
    In Zune, find the media file you want to turn into a ringtone
    Right-click on the file and select Edit
    In Genre list, click or type ringtone and press OK

Connect your phone to your PC with a USB cable and transfer your file to your Lumia. Then on your Lumia:
    Go to Settings
    Go to Ringtones + Sounds
    Select Ringtone and then scroll down to the file that you’ve created to make it your ringtone."

The guide is for Windows Phone 7, but may work on Windows Phone 8.

From what I gather, the best results would be from files 40 seconds long or less, typically about 1MB in size or less. Others have said any MP3 or WMA below 30MB in size should work. If you are having too much trouble, then follow the guide found here: http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/08/20/practical-project-how-to-make-custom-ringtones-for-your-nokia-lumia/.

• Drsunil V

I have moved audio files to the ringtone subfolder of Phone folder. But even then the files are not seen in the list of ringtones. Only Nokia and Windows Phone sections of default ringtones are seen