How do I download a Linux dvd to change over my XP desktop?

Fred L September 12, 2013

I have a Dell desktop about 5 years old I haven’t used for 3 years. Instead of adding to landfill I would like to learn how to use Linux and I would like to download a DVD onto my Windows 8 laptop to get the process started. How do I go about this?

Usually,for starters coming from Windows ecosystem,Linux Mint is good.But you can choose your own distro to learn and according to your needs which Makeuseof has compiled under the link below -

http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-linux-distributions

There are pretty good instructions on the Ubuntu site too. Here's an overview:
    1. Download the disc image. This is a file in ".ISO" format.
    2. Burn the image onto a DVD. If you've never done this before, you will need suitable software for this. you'll find the details in the MakeUseOf article or the Ubuntu site.
    3. Start up your Dell desktop and enter the BIOS (usually done by pressing the [Del] or [F2] key). Change the boot order so that the PC will try to boot from the optical drive before the hard disc. Save the settings.
    4. Insert the DVD into the PC and boot it up. It will start up in Ubuntu (from the DVD), which will take a little longer than usual.
    5. On the desktop you will find a shortcut to install Ubuntu. Double click on it and follow the prompts, it is VERY straightforward.
    Reboot your computer and start using it!