How do I create a secure secret folder on my external hard drive?

anhdroid June 13, 2012

Is there any software that will help me create a secret folder on my USB external hard drive? The folder itself should be hidden or password-protected so that nobody can see or access it except me. I will then use the folder to backup some important files with personal information inside.

A free solution would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

1. Steve Montgomery

Try True Crypt, a free open source encryption program. I've used it for a few years now, and I love it! You can download the newest version at .

2. Manide

TrueCrypt is also my recommendation. One of the main reasons in chosing it was this article:

• Dalsan

All I have to say is wow! I always has it in portable version but never used it, but extremely good reason to start!

3. Armando Alarid de la Torre

You can use trucrypt or also you can use a Linux distribution called backtrack 5 you will find a tool for that

4. ryandigweed0

Yeah i vouch for TrueCrypt as well

5. anhdroid

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I think I would look into TrueCrypt.

Sorry, but the question I have to ask is if the drive is external, why would you leave it around for people to access your files?
    There are loads of encryption methods and loads tools to crack/hack a folder, how much are you willing to pay to pretect it? There is a multitude of free and paid for file protection tools about, Google it and get hundreds of pages, thats what we do!

Perhaps Toolwiz BSafe can work on external hard drive

8. Dave

You could use the cloud or a online storage there are plenty for free to store what ever you want.

9. Jon Smith

They have an option to mount a secret folder so you can escape the extortion but I hope that never happens to you

It is probably easiest to use TrueCrypt to create a virtual disk on your external drive.

The problem with "secret" or "hidden" folders is that there is always a way for someone to find it ~ the same applies to simple password protection which can be brute forced or depending on the solution simply doesn't work e.g. when the device is plugged in at a Linux machine or so.

The only thing I can recommend is creating an encrypted "container volume" to store the files.

The most popular choice especially if you are going to use the drive on different systems e.g. Linux or OSX would be TrueCrypt however it does require administrative privileges ~ even the portable version.

If you are only planning on using it on Windows only I recommend FreeOTFE. It is fully portable e.g. can be copied and used from the external drive you store the "container file" on and further it works as a standard user ~ no admin required.

12. illegal3alien

You should look into Truecrypt. You could create a secure file container of partition the flash drive and dedicate a small section of it to become the encrypted area.