How do I convert an email back to English from Chinese logograms?

Anonymous September 21, 2013

I have an email in an Outlook 2010 account that was sent to me from a contact in the UK.

I have no idea what email application he used but do know that the email was written in English. Somehow from pressing send to receiving the email into my account, the whole email was converted to Chinese symbols. I have a Chinese friend who tells me they are just symbols and don’t make any sense.

Regrettably my contact is no longer around to ask him to resend which makes being able to read the mail even more important.
I have heard suggestions that the email may have been encoded incorrectly but don’t know what that means or how to convert it back to English.
Any ideas welcome. The Font appears to be Mingliu, highlighting a section and changing the font doesn’t work. I have tried that.

1. TieGuy

I had a similar problem. I guess I didn't sign out of my email while in school, and someone thought it would be funny to change my default language to Chinese.
    This worked for me, hope it works for you too:
    "Right click a character, then choose the "Translate to English" option (works in Google Chrome Browser). Then change your settings from "Simplified Chinese" to "English US." S ave your settings and your golden.
    I'm glad I have my email back but now I have to come up with some other excuse for not doing my homework...

2. TieGuy

Im having a similar problem. Only, I think I forgot to log out of my email and everything was changed. Now I even the "sign out" button is in Chinese. This was my school email too, so I need answers sooner rather than later

It is indeed an encoding problem. The solution (copied from this forum) is:
    Open the message (double click)-> Actions-> Other Actions-> Encoding

Choose a "Western" encoding such as ISO-8859-1 or Windows-1252 and should be well. If not, try UTF-8.

• James B

I would suggest trying to various east asian encodings - I often had "mojibake" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojibake) when Japanese friends would send something written in full width western characters using obscure encodings.