How do I connect two routers in a LAN to WAN configuration?

September 14, 2013

I have 2 routers:

Westell 327W wireless router
IP 192.168.10.1

Belkin N150 wireless router
ip 192.168.1.1

I would like to set up 2 sublets with Westell as a secondary router to the Belkin. When I connect the LAN port of Belkin to WAN port of Westell 327W, there is no internet connection even though the Westell 327W shows the connection is complete with an IP address from Belkin.

However, When I connect the LAN port from Westell 327w to WAN port of Belkin, everything works fine with no problem. Can someone point me to what seems to be the problem?

If it works with the Belkin being the secondary router I would assume that the Westell is properly setup to share your internet connection. Hence you will want to note down the Westell configuration and set up the Belkin accordingly.

Most important would probably be the WAN port configuration of the Westell. If it is set to DHCP you will want the Belkins WAN port to be on DHCP before replacing the Westell with it as the primary router. The same applies if it has a static IP or some PPPoE settings.

Since you are using different internal IP networks you should also make sure that both routers, the Westell and the Belkin are running a DHCP server for their local network.

My personal suggestion however is to have both routers on the same network e.g. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2, connect the secondary router using a LAN port and enable DHCP only on the primary router connected to the internet. This is usually the easier setup and makes it much easier to have devices on different routers communicate with each other.
    Also you circumvent running into an issue some routers have when using the same network class on the WAN and LAN side (e.g. 192.168.1.1 on WAN port, 192.168.10.1 on LAN port). Some simply refuse to work until you change either side e.g. to the 10.0.0.0 network.

Last but not least all my searches point to the Westell being a provider supplied device (by Verizon). So if you got the Westell from your provider you might actually have to keep it as the primary device or consult your provider about the change. Some providers like to lock internet access to a certain MAC address. In that case you'd have to get your Belkins MAC address of the WAN port unlocked.

• Lee H

Thanks Jan F. for your suggestion. I tried everything it still did not work. Interestingly, when westell is secondary, there is not communication between westell 327w to belkin even though westell can obtain an ip from belkin router.. Computers that connect to belkin router directly can still have the access the internet. I still did not figure out what is stopping the communication between westell 327w and belkin while westell is the secondary router. On the other hand, when belkin is the secondary router, there is no communication problems between 2 routers. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

• Lee H

Thanks Jan F. for your suggestions, I tried to post this response a couple times not sure it got accepted. I tried all you suggestions and it still did not work. There is a communication problem between westell 327w and belkin when westell 327w is the secondary router. Computers connecting to belkin directly will still have full internet access but not the the computers connecting to westell even though westell router is able to obtain an IP from Belkin. There is no communication problem when Westell 327w is the primary(front) router connecting to cable modem while Belkin is the secondary router(connecting to westell by Lan to Wan fashion). Thank you everyone for all the suggestion so far.

• Jan F

How did you wire them up? Did you connect the WAN port of the Westell to the Belkin or one of the LAN ports.
      In this configuration can you please state the network details of both routers and at least one client connected to the Westell router?

Belkin:
      WAN IP, WAN Subnetmask
      LAN IP, LAN Subnetmask

Westell:
      WAN IP, WAN Subnetmask
      LAN IP, LAN Subnetmask

and for the client also the LAN IP and LAN Subnetmask

Last but not least my suggestion (still) is to have either
      (a) the Belkin run a 192.168.1/24 network the Westell e.g. 10.1.1.0/24.
      (b) both in the same network e.g. Belkin 192.168.1.1, Westell 192.168.1.2
      b*) Westell DHCP off, Westell LAN port wired to Belkin LAN port

As soon as you create separate networks you have to deal with routing for internal communication and if the firewall of the secondary router cannot be turned off port forwarding.

which one will be the main router ?
    have you tried one router ip 192.168.1.200
    perhaps to disable DHCP on Belkin N150
    enable "Bridge Mode" on the secondary router

How to Connect Two Routers on One Home Network
    http://techchannel.radioshack.com/connect-two-routers-one-home-network-2300.html

3. Joel A

Did you define the IP address of your Westell router as a gateway ip address of your Belkin?