How do I connect my broadband internet in Linux Mint?

Kamruzzaman C August 30, 2013

Recently I am starting using Linux Mint (Latest Edition) but I cannot connect to internet through my broadband internet connection. What should I do now?

Have a look at the article link below which would help you setup wired connection -

Setting Up a Home Network with Linux Mint

2. David C

Paste back the output of dkms status

3. Dale M

An error message would be fine ;)

• Kamruzzaman C

Thanks Dale M

Are you connected to a combination broadband modem/router or is it simply a direct connection from your computer to a broadband modem? Are you using a wireless or wired connection? If you are using wireless, is your modem detected and configured?

Open up a terminal window and enter 'ifconfig' (without the quotes) and post your results. A wired connection generally shows up as 'eth0' and a wireless connection as 'wlan0'.

Do you have a panel showing network connections that are managed by NetworkManager? Where this shows up depends on what desktop environment you are using, but it is usually near the date/time panel. What are the status indications there?

• Kamruzzaman C

I am using only broadband connection. Thanks for reply.

• Bruce E

We still need answers to the rest of the questions and your above response didn't actually answer any of the questions I posed above.

You did tell dragonmouth that you are using a wired connection.

The remaining initial questions are:

Is your computer directly connected to the modem or is there a router between the computer and the modem?

What are the results of running 'ifconfig' in a terminal window on your computer?

When your first log into the computer, do you get any messages about network connections?

5. dragonmouth

Are you getting any error messages?
    Are you trying to use WiFi or Ethernet?

Please give more details.

• Kamruzzaman C

It's Ethernet.