How do I connect a 1st generation iPod Touch to my computer?

Kelly Sharp November 15, 2012

I am not familiar with Apple products, just needed a music player & found this cheap.
When I attach it to the computer “found new hardware” thinks it found a camera and I can’t access it.
Also, I don’t know how to get it connected to the internet through the computer. We have HughesNet satellite as our internet provider.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Besides other suggestions,I would like to add that in order to get internet access to your device,get a good Wi-Fi router.

2. Drew Butler

The above comments are correct I just wanted to add a few things.
    try this alternative portable app if you dont want to mess with itunes http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/manage-your-ipod-with-sharepod/

Also I used to be in sales for hughesnet and wanted to give you some advice with their service, from your hughes account/homepage they have a download manager available for free. Download that program and use it to have any large downloads run during their unlimited download period which is 12am - 7am if my memory serves me correctly(been a few years). Also make sure that your Anti-Virus and Windows updates are set to automatically run during that time and you will stay well below your data limit. By using this technique you may even be able to go with the base plan. Really hope this helps, most people even in the sales and customer service dept dont fully make you aware of how to get the most bang for your buck :)

3. Jan Fritsch

You'll need iTunes or an alternative that is capable to manage the iPod.

The iPod touch only supports internet via WiFi. You cannot "share" or connect it to the internet using the docking cable.

4. Douglas Mutay

You need to install iTune in your computer to access your iPod.

• Qin Tang

yeah, agree with you. The idevices can only be recognised by iTunes. You can download the iTunes from Apple official website.

Find manual on Apple website.