How do I configure Mac Mail to properly handle Outlook.com email?

July 19, 2013

I know Apple and Microsoft don’t play well together, but I should be able set up an Outlook.com email address in Mac Mail. I can get it to work intermittently, but encounter problems sending. It’s set up as a POP account (incoming: pop3.live.com) (outgoing: smtp.live.com), using SSL, Port 995, PW authentication, and no TLS Certificate. Better ideas?

1. Thomas K

Susendeep and Jan,

You were both on the right track it seems. Changing the outbound port to 587 appears (for now) to have done the trick. Thank you both!

The following are the settings stated by Microsoft

Server address: smtp.live.com

Port: 25 (or 587)
    TLS or SSL Secure Encrypted Connection: Yes

Authentication: Yes
    User name: Your email address
    Password: Your password

from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/outlook/send-receive-from-app

Make sure the user name is the primary email-address of Outlook.com, not an alias!
    If you use for example yourname@gmail.com to sign into Outlook.com this may be set as your primary email-address.

Try manually specifying either one of the ports and also try a different authentication method like NTLM or Kerberos.

It seems to me that you had tried many steps to configure Outlook.com mail on Mac Mail.

You could try changing the port number to 25 for outgoing server.

4. Sassah122 S

You can set your outlook account to auto forward mail to your apple ID. I use gMail and it works for me. I don't know the exact steps for Outlook. Just google it.