How do i back up my programs (Coreldraw,Photoshop etc) online ?

Sam R September 7, 2013

I plan to format my laptop to factory settings and i have taken a back up of my files and documents online. However, I am not sure how to take a backup of my programs like Coreldraw, Photoshop, CCleaner and others. I can download CCcleaner and other software packages again but I won’t be able to install Coreldraw and Photoshop again. Please suggest which is the best way to take a backup online for free. I have a WIN 7 64 Bit PC. Thanks.

1. Guy M

From the information given, it sounds like you don't have the installer files for CorelDraw and Photoshop. Is that correct? If you do, then it is as simple as backing up the installer files or burning ISOs of them to DVD.
    It is also a good idea to save your licensing information somewhere offline as well.

What Bruce E recommends about contacting the vendors for downloads of the installers is correct. Often they will do that, they just don't really advertise it. Worst case scenario, download a torrent of the software. If your licensing information is valid, the vendors aren't really concerned from there.

Another option is to make an image of your hard drive. Once you have that image, you could put it onto a cloud storage service, if you have enough storage room to do so.

You probably will not be able to do exactly what you want without buying a copy of Laplink's PC Mover as Hovsep suggested above. I have seen a couple of programs in the past that claim to be able to do this, but after minimal testing, I found that none of them do the job right and you end up with applications that no longer run properly or are not recognized as registered programs.

If you cannot reintall these programs because you lost the original media or the registration keys, you may be able to get help with those issues from the developer (Adobe or Corel) who can probably provide you with your registration keys and/or a link to an ISO image of the media.

If that does not work, perhaps you should consider uninstalling all applications you will be able to reinstall on the rebuild system, doing a full system cleanup (removal of temp files, registry cleanup of material belonging to the uninstalled programs, etc), and converting what remains to a virtual system. After you reinstall Windows and all of your other applications, you can set up a virtual machine to run the old system you converted to a VM. You can use commercial tools like those from Paragon Software for this task or the free tools available on Microsoft's SysInternals site to convert your system to a VHD (disk2VHD). Make sure you pay attention to the warnings. You can use Microsoft's free Virtual PC to access this VHD. If you are using Win7 Pro or above, you can also boot directly from this VHD file.

perhaps laplink pc mover can do what you want, it is shareware.
    http://ww2.laplink.com//pcmover

• Sam R

thanks but i need a free software...

check if Window7 Easy Transfer can help?
      http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-easy-transfer-in-windows-7.html
      i think you have to reinstall the application and then perhaps the settings can be applied.
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/transferring-files-and-settings-frequently-asked-questions
      No. Windows Easy Transfer transfers only program settings, not the programs themselves. To use the programs from your old computer, install them on your new computer, and then transfer files and settings for those programs. It's possible that some kinds of programs, such as security and antivirus programs, might not work with this version of Windows.

• Sam R

Hey Thanks but it shows me steps on transferring a file from one pc to another. Whereas what i am looking for is a way that i can reinstall my programs against after formatting the same pc.

check if DataGrab can help
      http://www.foolishit.com/vb6-projects/datagrab/
      perhaps you can backup program files directorey and restore after that, also backup the serial numbers of your installed shareware applications.