How do I activate an iPhone that came back in setup mode after it died without losing all my data?

Kim Dodson January 21, 2013

My iPhone 4S lost its charge and died. I plugged it back in and when it turned on, it was in setup mode. I had to select what language, country, location services, wiFi, etc. Now it’s asking me whether I want to set up as a new iPhone, restore from iCloud backup or restore from iTunes backup. I’m assuming if I setup as a new phone, it will wipe out everything.

I don’t have an iCloud account and I haven’t synced the phone to a computer in a little over a month. The computer I synced it to (my work computer) didn’t have iTunes setup on the PC. Is there anything I can do to recover my photos and video?!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

1. Muhammad Danish

Regardless of your reasons, stance, operating system or client – there’s no need to get caught. Of course I can’t guarantee this won’t happen, but you can reduce the risk of a threatening letter with a little bit of best-cover-letter-examples.com common sense, patience and forethought.

if the files are valuable perhaps to seek company help, or after setting up iphone as new again try to use some iphone deleted file recovery soft.

3. Muo TechGuy

You can't sync the iPhone without iTunes, so I doubt you synced it to the work pc that doesnt have iTunes. Perhaps you used some kind of third party utility to throw files onto the iPhone?

Well, sadly - that's not how the iPhone was meant to be used. iTunes performs automatic backups when you sync, as would iCloud if you had set that up. Without doing either, there is no possibility of recovering anything. Sorry. This time, I suggest you use iTunes and set up iCloud, as it is prompting you to do.