How do apps like Google Plus and Google Talk receive calls and messages though they may not be running as a process?

DrSunil Vaswani March 28, 2013

How do apps like google plus and Google Talk receive calls and messages though they may not be running as a process? I have noticed receiving hang out calls on Google Plus even if it is not running as process and occupying random memory. So I would like to know that is it not mandatory for an app to be running in background as process for it to trigger real time reactions like hang out call notification

1. illegal3alien

As mentioned they run in the background. They have hooks or event listeners of some sort (I don't remember exactly what they're called), but it's bits of code that wait for something to happen before bringing the program back into the foreground. The more of these listeners/hooks that are running, the more battery drain. There are task managers that allow you to view them and see which programs have them. I know an app like Facebook has 9+ and will drain your battery a noticeable amount.

2. Fredrik Jansson

They use backround processes or receives so when you get a new message the main app show's up as it should.

perhaps to not shutdown the process by mistake?
    Google Talk
    1) Talk.apk
    2) TalkProvider.apk
    3) gtalkservice.apk
    Googletalk ( process com.google.android.talk )
    i think if you remove google talk market won't work also perhaps Gmail needs GoogleTalk running in the background for INSTANT PUSH or other things?

• DrSunil Vaswani

I understand,,,,question got clarified..thanks with plus three points to you

4. Nevzat A

Well you don't see many background system processes on Android's native Task Manager. If you use a 3rd party task manager, you'll see many hidden processes out there. For example, try this free system information utility "Android System Info" : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.electricsheep.asi