How difficult is it to replace a HP Pavilion motherboard?

Steve H August 20, 2013

After a power outage my PC went down and did not come back.  I found that the power supply lamp was blinking rapidly so I started unplugging each plug one at a time and when i got to the main mother board plug the power supply lamp went solid again.  I found a refurbished motherboard but I’m not sure how hard it is: plug n play or extensive recovery.

1. Jim C
  2. Justin Pot

Did you try unplugging the computer, removing the battery from the motherboard, then holding the power for 30 seconds followed by thirty seconds of rapidly pressing it? I've seen this bring seemingly dead mother boards back from the dead after a power outage. Not a sure thing, but worth trying.

if different motherboard windows will upon boot eject various error messages, so you have to reinstall windows or if possible factory recovery!

Agreed. If the motherboard is the same or very similar model, then it mostly is a swap and go. If the motherboard is too different for your Windows system to recognize it with minor changes, then the system will throw out an activation error, thinking gfs license is wrong for the new system, or fail to fully boot due to wrong drivers being installed on the system.

5. Matt Smith

If its the EXACT SAME motherboard then you should be able to install it, and your computer will be done the wiser, provided the mobo is the only problem.

A different motherboard probably won't be that hard to install, though you may have trouble figuring out how to properly connect the enclosure's power button and lights, and you'll have to make sure it supports all the hardware currently installed in the PC.

But, if you are using Windows, a different motherboard will likely make Microsoft think you are trying to install the same license on another PC. You can fix it, but you'll probably have to call in to Microsoft instead of using their online activation tool.

Another potential problem is driver; if the motherboard is different, the drivers currently installed will not be correct, and your computer might crash when it boots or be unstable. I recommend re-installing Windows when you change the motherboard to a different model, though you may be able to get it working without doing so. It just depends on how different the new mobo is from the old one.

• Bruce E

When doing this on a Windows system, take Matt's stressed words 'EXACT SAME motherboard' to heart. I have seen systems fail to boot when the motherboard has been replaced with the same make and model, but a later revision. Getting it to work required booting into an alternate OS and manually replacing the original drivers with updated versions. The driver replacement process ended up taking more than 3 hours although it worked like a champ afterwards.

If you will not be using the same make and model (and revision) motherboard, you should use a LiveCD to save anything important to you that is on this machine and do a clean install of Windows once the new motherboard is in.