How come I can’t install Windows XP after replacing my motherboard and hard drive?

govind kalena April 11, 2013

I had motherboard and hard drive problem. After repairing the board and installing new hard drive in my PC, I could not install Windows XP, it stopped after the hardware check and wouldn’t copy files. Windows 7 can be installed without difficulty.

How come I can’t install Windows XP? I don’t want Windows 7.

Editor’s Note: Question edited for readability.

1. twistedends

XP is a thing of the past in less then a year it will no longer be supported by microsoft and like windows 95 and 98, windows 2000,windows ME it will drift into the great abiss. Its time to step into the present and the new platform with multi core processors, the cloud and the rest of the new technology. don't waste your time on something that will soon be obsolete.

2. Sonesh Lakhani

May be your motherboard not supporting windows XP

3. pp potana

Try to update your BIOS

4. yudics

Have you doing a partitioning and formating process for your new hardisk?, if you have done the process and get no problem, make sure if your XP CD-installer can be read by your CDROM, or try to installing with another CDROM.

Flash BIOS
    While Trying to install Windows XP, my computer hangs at the “Please wait, setup is inspecting your computer’s hardware configuration” screen.
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_install/while-trying-to-install-windows-xp-my-computer/ba421b7a-36df-4094-ba33-cddd4e638f75

You are probably trying to install XP on SATA hard drives. Unless you have a Windows XP SP3 installation disk (or one that has SATA drivers slipstreamed), you will run into this issue. Because most modern computers don't have floppy drives, you can't use the XP installation option to look for additional disk drivers from an alternate source (XP will only try to read from a floppy disk). This means you will have to create your own XP installation disk with the appropriate SATA drivers slipstreamed or you could change your BIOS settings for your hard driver controller in the BIOS to support legacy/IDE hard drives. The BIOS change will impact the overall performance of the system, so using a slipstreamed or XP with SP3 installation disk is the better option.

To create your own XP install disk with SP3 integrated, on a machine running XP, copy the entire contents of your current CD to a directory such as C:flat. Download the SP3 installer from microsoft.com then run it with the following command: WINDOWSXP-KB936929-SP3-X86-ENU.exe /integrate:c:flat. Once the process completes, burn the contents of the C:flat directory to a new bootable CD. You should now be able to use this new disk to install to your system without the SATA driver problems and it will already have SP3 installed, so further updates will not take as long.

If you have Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise you can download XP Mode which is a free addon from Microsoft.com.

8. Matt Dell

Best guess would be drivers for your hard drive drivers. The newer Win 7 system probably has drivers for modern mobos and hdd included in the set-up disk whereas the older XP disc does not
    See here - http://j.mp/Zodou0

If you have the option to run WIndows 7 instead of XP I would highly recommend the upgrade - so long as your system is up to it. The biggest bottle neck is ram - make sure you have at least 2gb for Win7 (4gb is better)