How can I work for open source projects?
Question by Ram Lalit /

I am a programmer and know C ,C++ java and web designing. I want to help the open source community and enhance my skills, too. I am confused where to start. I read the earlier post on MakeUseOf where they told about 10 websites, but I am still confused.

• salim benhouhou

sourceforge.com is a great place to contribute for open source projects and for web projects i would recommend github.com

• ramlalit tiwari

Thanx to all…got my answer…thnx again..

• Junil Maharjan

Choose an open source project you feel like. Most of these open source projects have ‘help us’ or ‘join us’ page where you can sign up and choose an area where you would like to help.

• Avish Kansakar

you can start here http://sourceforge.net/ this site is really amazing and it has been providing great free open source programs for a while now. You can go through the projects that require help and choose one to your liking.

• Fakhruddin Ahmad

Decide what kind of project you want to participate. A linux distro development, a DE, a multimedia player, an office utility, just take whatever you like. You can try to make something new or join a project and help them fixing a bug or improve some features.
    Just go to any opensource project site you’ll your way there.

• Austin Halsell

I would choose a specific community. Just saying “open source” is too vague. Honestly, that might be why there are so few responses. It’s kind of like asking “I want to be a sports fan. Where do I start?” Essentially, pick one or two projects you feel strongly about, join the forums, use the product, and be an active, helpful part of the community. Then begin inquiring about how you can get involved. Each open source project might be a little bit different about how to go about doing that.

• ramlalit tiwari

I know u are a point freak just collecting points..

• ramlalit tiwari

NO Help…please explain?