How can I wirelessly sync folders so backups are always up to date?

Saumil Mehta May 23, 2012

I would like to sync a few data folders wirelessly so that data is always up to date. However, I do not want to use third-party web services like Dropbox. Is this possible? Can you tell me how?

Thanks.

First you will have to be more specific:
    Do you want to synchronize folder contents or do you want to create a backup? Because synchronization also means that if a file is deleted in one place it will be removed from the other too ~ which basically eliminates the "backup" part.

That is also the way Dropbox works ~ it keeps places synchronized. The difference here is that Dropbox keeps a history of files which allows you to restore a file (like you can do from a backup).Basically it is a synchronization which is regularly backed up in the background.

The next question is what your definition of wireless is. If you want to synchronize/backup a folder e.g. to another computer, server or storage within the same network there are plenty tools with plenty options.
    If you want to synchronize stuff over the internet e.g. from a public WiFi to your desktop at home there are other steps involved like port forwarding on your router ~ not to mention the necessary security since you are sending private data over a public network.

• Saumil

1 - I want to sync data between my Laptop & Desktop
      2 - By Wireless I mean - I want to sync data over my wifi network. However, I dont know how to connect both systems on wifi so that a sync can be performed.
      I do not want to use Dropbox etc service.

Thx

You will need to configure your network so they can see each other. If both computers are running Win7, you just need to configure HomeGroup (Control Panel -> HomeGroup). Just follow the prompts. Then open up Control Panel -> Sync Center to create a new sycn partnership and define what you want synced between the machines.

For setting up networking with different versions of Windows, see this documentation http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/sharing-files-and-printers-with-different-versions-of-windows

Once you have your networking set up and both machines can see each other and share files, you can then use the Microsoft SyncToy to synchronize your files between the machines. The downloads are here (pay attention to x64 and x86 versions) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155

2. Oron

Dropbox is one excellent way to do this. Although Dropbox is a cloud-sync service, it synchronises files on the local network separately from its connection to the internet.
    The sticking point is that you only get free allocation of 2GB so, depending on how much data you have you you may have to pay for the service.

• Saumil

I have like 250 GB of data which I want perfectly synced over Wifi...Is this possible?

• Oron

Yes, but it will cost! Dropbox charge $199 per year for their 100GB plan. You can contact them to ask what it will cost for $250 but it's obviously not going to be cheap!

3. Susendeep Dutta