How can I watch movies on a Mac from my external hard drive?

Mitch P July 19, 2013

I copied movies from my iTunes to a Mac-formatted EHD and tried to watch the movie from the EHD. The movies are now in Flip Player and the screen is gray only with no audio. Help?

VLC, suggested by others, should work, but shouldn't be necessary, given that you were previously able to play the files on the Mac with no additional software. The fact that they open in Flip Player suggests that they've been converted to a different format, or perhaps the file association has gone wrong. Try to open one of the videos in QuickTime by running QuickTime and dragging the file's icon from the external drive onto the QuickTime icon on the dock. Does it play? If so, it could be just a matter of associating the file type with QuickTime.

2. Sassah122 S

Try the free VLC player for mac. If that doesn't work try import a few of the movies into iTunes. If the iTunes method works you probably have a DRM issue.

Did you just drag & drop the media files from the old location onto the new one or did you follow the steps provided in Apple's KB?

Have you tried opening those movies in Quicktime?

If that doesn't work either it is most likely an DRM issue. Make sure iTunes is logged in using the same Apple ID used to acquire those videos and your computer is authorized.

trey vlc portable
    https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21279/portable-vlc
    if you moved movies by drag and drop there should not be a nu problems in playing them, unless they are drm protected?