How can I voice-over an entire slideshow in iMovie?

Sharon Adams April 7, 2015

I need to voice-over a slideshow created in iPhoto in iMovie as a whole, not do one slide at a time and move back to iPhoto to go to iDVD.

I have called Apple various times. They told me how to do it on a per slide basis but that takes me 7 minutes per, providing voice-over is good and then I have to move it back to the desktop and drag back into the slideshow and re-position. I did that for a previous DVD but need much more voice-over for this one.

I am doing DVDs for Amazon and must come up with a way to make voice-over fluid across the whole project. I think iMovie could do this but I don’t know how to do it. All my work is finished in slideshow – music, Ken Burns effects, editing, etc. I just need voice and hopefully copyright of some sort as we sell these. The new update I innocently put on iMovie blew me away. Now the book I bought to use it is no good, out of date etc. and these updates don’t come with instructions.

I went to iskysoft – wonderful but they have no way of transferring an entire album so no good there either.

So in a nutshell I want to export my entire slide show to iMovie, all Ken Burns effects already set per each slide etc. so I can voice over at any points I wish and burn it. Is it doable? If so, I would need very explicit directions. Or a YouTube. Please assume nothing on the tech side. Of course I will be eternally grateful if you can solve this so
I can actually get some work done on my Mac.

Note: I am 73 and have Mac at home and Windows at work so getting it all together especially when Apple keeps moving my cheese is really hard for me and I have 3 travel DVDs in the works. If you can’t solve or suggest thank you so much for taking the time to try.

1. Mark O'Neill

In iMovie itself, there is a voiceover audio button. Top right of the screen, where the screen is to watch your movie in progress, underneath on the left is a small microphone. That is your voiceover button.

2. Sharon adams

Thank you so much, have reverted to imovie ,09 so may be able to do so now. Told an apple advisor photos is already hated by my friends they need to advertise what you will lose by "updating" like your whole workflow you depend on. Not some flashy little new garbage we don,t need. Now I hear 2014Mac mini which I have really recommended to my friends is also really bad, no speed reverting to a slow system . All trying to force us away from the original reason to purchase Mac. It is true that absolute power
    Corrupt s absolutely.. Now my almost unused optical drive on n older Mac will not work. Scary, be very afraid

http://help.apple.com/imovie/#mov3b0fb060

maybe to export slideshow to quiktime movie then import audio and do the editing