How can I view and save PDF files on my home computer?

Kellie Hoff June 10, 2013

Why can I not see any PDF files when I try and save files using a PDF program? I don’t have the problem when I am at school. Please help!

How do I fix this on my computer? I can see the PDF files that I saved at school fine, but when I try and save my work on my own computer, it won’t show the PDF file that I saved in whatever folder I am working on.

1. Mike Henderson

You should choose a PDF reader program. Adobe, Foxit, and many others exist. You can google PDF Reader Reviews and read all about them. Once you choose a product you should download it and install it. After installing the application on your computer you should be able to download, open, and save PDF files.

2. Anil A-nil

you need to download pdf creator !!!!!!!!!

3. Dejan Kumric

Can You describe your problem more detailed. You said that you can't see your PDF files, but it is not clear if you can't see your files at all, or you see your files but without acrobat icon type?

Did you try open your files directly from Acrobat using Open... command? Maybe you have problem with files association. If you are not experienced user the best options is to reinstall your PDF reader or to install new PDF reader.

Regards,

Use the best, Foxit PDF Reader from http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

5. MdMontaser

I depends on which of the PDF reading software you are using.

6. Phill Duplessis

Yes, in_mohit is right :)
    Use Adobe Reader, it is the best option and has so many salient features,
    go to http://www.adobe.com/products/reader.html and check it out

7. lanete_08

use sumatra pdf :]

8. dragonmouth

Maybe your File Association is incorrect. You may be saving the files as something besides .PDF.

Instead of saving use save as. This not only shows you where the files are being saved but gives you the option to rename the pdf file.

• Jim Chambers

In addition , it gives you the option to save file in a different location.

10. Harshit J

Please explain completely. I am not able to understand why your pdf files are disappearing from where you are saving them. Perhaps post some screenshots or even a video recording your procedure. If you want to post a video, try CamStudio to record it. http://camstudio.org/

Kellie, you need to tell us a little more about how you are saving the PDFs as there are many variables and possible default behaviours.
    Before you reply, try this experiment. Open a PDF, note down its name (shown in the title bar), and save it. Now search your disc for that file name. If you can find it, open the folder where that PDF was saved. Are the other PDFs there? In this case, it's probably just a matter of your web browser being set to always save to a default folder (usually "downloads"), and you can change its behaviour through the browser settings. If not, we'll need to know a little more about your set up.

Either way, get back to us and let us know if the problem has been resolved. If it hasn't, it'll be useful to know what software you use to read the PDFs, what operating system (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or Mac OS) and where you are getting your PDFs from (eMail, website?).

12. Rob H

Check the PDF software settings. It may be that it's sending to a folder other than the one you were expecting. It doesn't necessarily save the file in the same folder as the original (non-pdf) document comes from.

Try creating a pdf with a unique name then using a local PC search tool to try to find that file.

13. in_mohit

Use Adobe's PDF reader.

which pdf program you have?
    is the pdf file protected? in adobe go to files-properties-security
    do you have the same problem with other type of files like word...