How can I verify Facebook without a mobile number or .edu address?

December 14, 2013

I have an account on a few blogs that have just recently updated their commenting policy to require “linking” to a “verified” Facebook account before commenting on articles.

I never had a Facebook account before but registered one just for the purpose of commenting. However, I cannot “verify” it (whatever that means) without a mobile number. I do not have a cell phone and don’t know anyone who does or who would allow me to use it (plus, it’s not in my nature to ask people for silly favors like this).

I searched online for websites that will allow you to receive text messages online without your mobile number, as though being sent to an email address. I tried Pinger TextFree for Web and even got a “free” mobile number that would allow me to receive texts from people, but so far the Facebook verification text is not showing up there. I emailed tech support but in the meanwhile I am searching for answers among the savvy MUO community. :-)

What can I do? Short of buying a “burner” phone at Walmart or Staples and essentially wasting $40 for one stupid text from Facebook so that I can get back onto HuffPost, is there anything free online that lets you register a temporary or “dummy” phone number in the same way as you can register a throwaway email address? I have found several sites that allow you to send¬†texts, but have found none that allow you to receive them as well.

I have no intent of using Facebook otherwise except for jumping through hoops of dumb verification services like those on HuffPost, Slate and Salon. Please help.

1. Mahendra Kumar

This is great tutorial if you wanna updated article on this topic than visit this blog http://new-facebook-tipstricks.blogspot.com/ Thanks