How can I use Wget to download mp3s and PDFs on a particular site?

Ikki Tenryou March 4, 2013

I just registered on SpanishPod101 and JapanesePod101 and they have free language learning podcasts. Whenever you register they give you full premium access to the site for 7 days. That means you can download all their mp3s and PDF notes.

I was trying to use wget to accomplish this, but nothing I try works. Is anyone here registered with these sites or any of the sister sites, who has successfully used wget to download their mp3s? It’s a pain using downthemall to go page by page. That’ll take forever seeing as how I’m trying to get the Spanish, Japanese, Russian, and Italian.

Before you post a solution, could you guys at least try to see if it works? I’ve been asking around online and the only thing people are doing is copying wget codes from the internet that don’t work or they keep saying read the manual. I have experience using wget. If it matters I’m on xubuntu 12.04.

1. Justin Pot

It's possible that the site secures their folders to prevent this sort of downloading, Ikki, but without access I cannot say for sure. Let us know if you figure this out, okay?

Hi Ikki, I'm not familiar with the site, but you can look up the manual for WGET at http://www.gnu.org/software/wget/manual/wget.html#URL-Format to see how it works. Basically, you would need to use wildcards to download all the files.

• Ikki Tenryou

I've tried that. I've even tried to pass off my username and pass through wget first to authenticate myself and use it to recursively search each page for mp3s and pdfs but sometimes it wouldn't connect and other times I didn't get anything but a few useless html files. I'm not giving up tho.