How can I use the Wi-Fi from my mobile to connect to my laptop?
Question by Rachel B /

How can I connect my laptop to the WiFi from my mobile device?

Is there anything I need to know about tethering etc?

• Nitesh Badala

make wi-fi hotspot to share network.

• Chinmay Sarupria

You need Wifi Hotspot to use wifi from mobile.

• Alon Kejzman

I had the same problem lately, as my phone has a 3g plan, and since my computer doesn’t have one (…) I tried to find a way to connect it to the wi-fi when I go abroad.
    So, after doing a little research, I found that in order to connect your computer via your smartphone, you need to follow just a few simple steps:
    1. Turn on your phone
    2. Go to settings
    3. Go to wireless and networks
    4.Click on tethering& portable hotspot
    5. Check Protable wi-fi hotspot
    6. Turn on your computer
    7. Go to find the available wi-fi networks
    8. Click on your phone’s network.
    9. Check in your phone what’s the password
    10. Connect to the network from your computer using the password.
    11. You’re Done!
    Hope I explained it simply enough!

• Patrick J

Do note that this only works in Android smartphones, maybe from ICS onwards or it depends on phones. Do check if oyu have similar settings there. I think Alon has shown in quite clearly.

You didn’t mentioned the OS of your phone.

If you have iPhone,then –

If you have Android,then –

• Anthony Rocco

What kind of phone and operating system do you have?

• Kyem Ghosh

Joikuspot is avail only for Symbian phones.. And most of the Android phones have inbuilt wifi hotspot facility. I use joikuspot to hav wifi on my iPad mini n it works great but the range is not so good but still satisfies me…

• Tanmay M

If you have Wi-Fi tethering option available you can create your own wifi network and connect your laptop to the that network to share files

• Anish P

You’ll need to enable mobile hotspot data on your plan by calling up your service provider. They should be able to help you set it up once you have mobile hotspot enabled.
    An alternative is to jailbreak/root your phone and enable mobile hotspot tethering. However, your carrier will catch on after some time and will either slow down your internet speed and/or contact you to inform you that you are breaching the terms of your mobile phone plan. I would recommend the safe and ‘legal’ way of contacting your service provider, though you may be most likely be charged for having a mobile hotspot plan in addition to your normal data plan.