How can I use the full 160GB of a Classic iPod hard drive that I turned into an external hard drive?

Robin Lewis November 9, 2012

My 160GB Classic iPod died on me a month or so ago. So now I have ripped out the hard drive from it, managed to turn it into an external hard drive with some parts I gain via eBay.

Now here is the challenge. My computer is only recognizing it as a 18.6GB hard dive. I like to use the full 160GB. Does anyone have any idea’s?

1. Rakesh Mishra

have u use any partition manager

2. Boni Oloff

That is really very big gigs. Try to reformat your iPod. maybe there are software that can do formatting iPod, because i have never have it, so i cannot help so much.

3. Robin Lewis

Sweet, thanks for the tips. I downloaded EaseUS partition manager and saw that there was about 108gig space that was unallocated. So I got it going so there so this is 126 gig external hard drive....

You could try MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition.

5. Lisa Santika Onggrid

Try using EaseUS partition manager. How much space do you see? Maybe the rest of the space is unallocated. You can then get it to use the whole space.

• Drew Butler

I agree EasUS Partition Manager is great.. give it a try and let us know if it solved your issue.

did you tried to delete the volume
    1. Right-click on computer and select “Manage”
    2. Select “Disk Management”
    3. Right-click on your drive and select “Delete Volume”
    4. Wait for volume to delete, then right-click on USB and select “New Simple Volume”