How can I use right tab in a table cell to line up figures in Microsoft Word for Mac?

Gwenda Brown April 13, 2013

I have added a right tab to the column of cells where I want to add a list of figures, aligned on the right. When I hit Command-Tab or Control-tab (the usual Word command to get to the tab stop), it either gives me a menu list or extends the column beyond the page. How do I get to the tab stop?

Interesting! It might have something to do with how the table is formatted. Every cell in a word table has internal margins (sometimes referred to as "spacing" or "padding" by users). If your column is quite narrow, your tab stop may be past the margin and behave oddly. In other words, make sure your tab stop is well within these margins, and also that it's not too close to the beginning of the line (that's another thing that can throw Word).

• Gwenda Brown

I'm convinced there's a problem with the computer. I tried setting up another table, and ctrl-tab worked fine on the right tab, so ??? Thanks for your suggestions.

2. macwitty

I have an old Word but here is it alt+tab

• Gwenda Brown

Alt-tab has the same effect as Ctrl-tab; the column expands off the edge of the page. I'm starting to think that perhaps it's my computer rather than the software.

I don't know why Cmd-Tab is not working for you, but you could try typing a tab outside the table, then copying it and pasting it into the cell.

• Gwenda Brown

Thanks Oron. I set up a tab stop to the right of the table, but when I tabbed across to the tab stop, the cursor disappeared??