How can I use peer-to-peer filesharing (Torrent) privately?
Question by Nouri Alnahawi /

I don’t know what your take on illegal downloading of media is, but a year ago I was living in a country where almost none of the big companies had the slightest copyright over their products. And having the chance to download whatever I wanted, I just simply did.

Earlier this year I moved to Germany, and as I’ve been told, the censorship here is very strict and the copyright laws as well. However, I was wondering if I can still use Torrent to download some stuff. For the most part PC games. There are a lot of big hits coming out now, and I can’t afford buying 5-6 games for 40-50 euros each!

Is there some kinda way to hide my activity, IP address etc. so that no one knows what I’m downloading?

I know this is a morally gray topic, but I can’t see how this could harm anyone. And I sometimes like to think we are still fighting the MAN. ;)
Thanks in advance!

P.S: I’m a first year computer science student, so I would be able to understand complicated stuff.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Anish T A

You can buy a VPS(Virtual Private Server) and download the games to it.
    Then you can rename the file and compress it using Winrar and upload the files to sites like “dropbox” or “mediafire” and download it to your PC.
    You can find cheap VPS at

Or you can use a VPN but you must find a good VPN which is very reliable and which keeps no logs.

The Pirate Bay now has something called Anonymous or something and it is basically a free vpn but you can also use a proxy. I suggest using Ultrasurf.

• Ryan Dube

Anonymous file downloading has to be one of the most common online activities. I actually don’t do it personally, because I know programmers that develop software and I would feel like I’m stealing money from them, and endangering their jobs, if I didn’t support the software industry by buying the products.

However, to answer your question about anonymous peer-to-peer file sharing, most certainly. I’d say Tor is your best bet:

And you may want to check out my recent article about creating a TorBox:

However, proceed with caution. I’m actually doing a follow-up with the developer of TorBox because you have to understand how your information is (or isn’t) isolated from the Internet with such setups in order to properly use it so that your identity is truly hidden.

Regardless, using any solution to create better anonymity online is better than using none. Is it possible – yes. Is it a surefire way to download free software and music without getting caught? Not really – nothing is surefire when you decide to break the law.

• Alan Wade

“I know this is a morally gray topic, but I can’t see how this could harm anyone.”

It harms the software companies who then pass on the higher prices to honest people who buy the games in order to cover their losses due to thieves like you.

• Nouri Alnahawi

You sound like an owner of one of those companies. And ya, I bet those big companies suffer a lot, just like the millions of 3rd world workers they hire for 10 cents an hour. And I don’t appreciate you calling me a thief. I bet you were in favor of putting the Megaupload guy away for 40+ years, while real thieves, rapists and psychos walk out free. I highly recommend you not to comment again, because you wouldn’t like the outcome Mr. Wade.

• Alan Wade

I dont give a damb whet you do or dont “appreciate” and dont make threats, the only person you are scaring is yourself.

• Nouri Alnahawi

I really can’t figure out what in the hell your f***ing problem is !!! If you don’t approve of pirating, just keep it to yourself. So just f*** off Mr. I’m representative of major companies, who has nothing better to do than stick his nose in other people’s business. It’s a shame that I have to experience such an unfriendly feedback at MUO, one of the best websites out there…

• Erlis Dhima

I like this topic! I will make a “question” to take everyone opinion! Probably you are right! But I think not a hundred percent, since there are other things to consider! But anyway, let’s talk on the question I just mentioned!

• Joe Pryde

best way to do this is simply via a bittorrent friendly VPN like btguard or strong vpn. make sure any virtual private network you use allows bittorrent traffic as some dont and will ban you if you do. to get decent speeds from VPN’s you will need to pay a small monthly fee but its worth it for the privacy from internet snoops and protects all your online activity not just torrents.
    If you really want to get into torrenting and with super fast speeds get your self a seedbox which is space on a server usually with a superfast connection which can allow you to download your torrents to there and then to your computer without the need to torrent directly to your computer. It is more costly than a VPN but gives superfast torrenting abilities and complete seperation from the torrent privacy issue
    For some really indepth information check out this article here which explains both anonymising and encrypting your information:

• Boni Oloff

There are many private torrent. But that doesn’t mean you can download without nobody knows.

• Nikhil Chandak

check the links out , these may help u out
    or I think u want hide ur IP address , u can use this site (as suggested by Erlis Dhima

• Erlis Dhima

If you want to share your movies with others, and you want to share them privately, use any site that gives you a private tracker! If you want simply to download, then download from the pirate bay or similar pages! If you can’t download with torrent, than possibly your ISP has blocked downloading from this sites.. You can try sites that are not very popular! Also, if you mean that downloading a movie via torrent is tracked and you might be caught by law through your IP, there are ways to hide your IP! One way would be to use a site:
    I think it’s one way for this… Please comment if this helped or not!

• Nouri Alnahawi

Thanks, but I wouldn’t know, even if it worked haha.. If no cops show up, I’ll let you know ;)

• Erlis Dhima

Haha.. ok! Hope they don’t show up though! XD

• Lisa Santika Onggrid

Maybe Tor? And applying to a private torrent community.
    Here in my country we pirate a lot because there’s no legal way to obtain games and some other stuffs without importing them ourselves, which could cost double or triple of the original price.